Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question on bucket fermentation  (Read 10062 times)

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 417
Question on bucket fermentation
« on: May 26, 2014, 07:26:08 PM »
I just finished brewing my second kit (Best Case from Noble Grape, Picadilly Porter). I had a question about the fermentation process. I have a plastic bucket for the primary fermenter, and the instructions say NOT to snap down the lid. What's the reasoning behind this?
Lee

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
Re: Question on bucket fermentation
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »
You need a way for CO2 to escape from the bucket.  If you have a lid with an airlock, then go ahead and snap down the lid, otherwise you can just set the lid on top or partially seal it.

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 08:11:20 PM »
Thanks Chris, so why have an airlock on the secondary fermenter but not the first? Or is it better to have it on both?
Lee

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 08:43:24 PM »
I've always had an air lock on both. Not that its completely necessary because when its fermenting there's a layer of co2 blanketing the wort/beer. But it's in my opinion a good practice to get into. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 09:05:29 PM »
I agree with Roger.  The only purpose of the air lock is to allow CO2 to escape and prevent air (and contaminants) from getting in.  In the secondary, there will be CO2 produced from latent fermentation as well as just coming out of solution because it's warm.  You want that to be able to escape if it builds up too much.

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 09:48:34 PM »
Thanks Guys! Even though this is only my second kit I am having a lot of fun. My first has been described as "surprisingly drinkable"   :D
Lee

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »
What's the consensus on buckets? I typically use carboys now but have a mini fridge which will fit a bucket, and a second temp controller.

Now my keezer is doing double duty between serving and fermenting (4 days in controlled temps, then room temp). It would be nice to dedicate the mini fridge to fermentation.

does the partially sealed lid work well enough for two weeks, no secondary?
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »
Yes. You don't really need to do a secondary. 2 weeks in the bucket would work fine.

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 08:24:05 AM »
I only use buckets for primary, carboys are just too much a pita to clean.  My lids have holes for bungs and I typically just put a sanitized foil over the hole for 4-5 days and add an airlock when fermentation starts to slow down

Offline pliny

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 08:59:18 AM »
This is an age-old debate that will probably last forever. I would say this is possibly one of the most debated topics I've read.

In my case I strictly use carboys and I don't secondary. When for lagering, I do it in keg.

Yes, it is tricky to clean at times. I've just had some bad luck a couple of times with buckets and gave them up. I may change my mind in the future.

Some of the more reputable homebrewers use buckets only(Denny Conn 400+batches). Some other ones use carboys. It really depends on you.   

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 09:24:19 AM »
Yeah I think I'm going to give the bucket a few tries since it fits nicely in the fridge
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »
I like the bucket for the type of brewing I'm doing. It's easy to clean, the carboy fits inside it for smaller storage, easy to pour boiling hot liquids and yeast into. I may try to modify the top of mine to include an airlock since right now there is nothing.

Growing up I remember my dad using buckets with a grocery bag on top for his wine.
Lee

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 10:55:41 AM »
You can get a lid with a hole for an air lock at Noble Grape for $3.  I've tried drilling a hole in the lid before.  I failed.

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
  • Mild mannered suburbian
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 11:00:23 AM »
I use buckets for primary frequently, especially when doing 15G. I havent had problems yet...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 11:16:24 AM »
You can get a lid with a hole for an air lock at Noble Grape for $3.  I've tried drilling a hole in the lid before.  I failed.

Ha. I did the same thing. I also asked the guy at NG if he had bucket lids with an airlock hole and he looked at me weird and said "Why would you need an airlock for a bucket"
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er