Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nitor Gas for stouts  (Read 5269 times)

Offline Dean

• Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Nitor Gas for stouts
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 01:27:02 PM »
sounds to me that what you're seeing is paintball specific. In general the liquids are low pressure gasses (industrially "LP" means low pressure and not liquid propane). Traditionally, for the high pressure gasses, aluminum cylinders were rated for higher pressures than their steel counterparts ...3000psi (actually higher but 3000 is the rating) and 2250psi respectively. About 10-15 years ago high pressure steel cylinders became real popular in with the compressed air crowd (mainly divers) and they're rated at 5000psi. I'm not exactly sure what the technical difference in the cylinder itself is, but i can tell you there's a BIG difference in the valve and the way it connects to your regulator.

Again, I can't speak for the liquids but as far as the gasses go, tank size (in cubic feet) and pressure are your 2 variables for volume.

so ...if your CO2 tank is steel my guess is that it's rated for 2250psi, if it's aluminum it's rated at 3000 but I have no idea what the max pressure is for CO2.

Offline Dean

• Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 01:28:31 PM »
oops ...i forgot the whole point of all that ^ .....they MIGHT not fill a CO2 cylinder with nitrogen.

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »
So you're saying CO2 is a low pressure gas, whereas N2 is a high pressure gas?

Pretty sure the 20LB CO2 cylinder I have here contains liquid CO2...
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline Dean

• Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 01:45:29 PM »
relatively speaking, yes.  I know that nitrogen is filled to at least 3000psi ...most garages that do tires have it now for filling tires on the cars with tire pressure monitors. the reason they use nitrogen is that there's virtually no pressure change as it heats up, unlike air

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 04:34:48 PM »
my buddy goes to liquid air and orders "Aligal".  it's in a CO2 tank as his regulator fits on it, unlike a nitro tank.  Aligal is the stuff.

Carbonating still needs to be done with CO2 though.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."