Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mashing  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
Mashing
« on: November 22, 2011, 04:17:58 PM »
Does anyone in here start with the mash water already in the cooler and slowly add/stir the grain into the water? I've always added water onto the grain in a couple different doses and stirred. Just read that it's alot easier to mix grain into water because it's alot less likely that clumps will form.

I never thought of doing it this way ... just seems backwards
President of the NBCBA

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
Re: Mashing
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:11:05 PM »
Hey Jake,

I do that.  I put about 1/2 my mash water in, then slowly add my grain and stir with a mash paddle, then add another 1/4 of the water and check my temp.  If it's way too low, boil up the rest of the water and add...if it's too high, I can add colder water. Works for me.  

I would have thought if you put in all the grain first then added water that you'd end up with big clumps of grain.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline Dave Savoie

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:17:42 PM »
I do that dump all my water in and slowly add my grain stiring lightly to avoid any clumps at all has never failed me
Charter Member

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:47:12 PM »
I just add all the water to the grain, never had any major issues.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 280
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »
I've tried the variations mentioned here. The way I find leaves the fewest dough balls is to add about a half inch of water on the bottom of the mash tun before putting the grian in, and continuously running the water in while adding the grain.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:07:36 PM »
I typically just added the water on top of all the grain, and it seemed I would always be within a degree of my target. I tried starting with the water in the mash tun, and undershot the temp by like 4 degrees ... guess it's going to be a dry beer

Gave it another 15 mins in the mash tun also. I read that it takes a little longer at lower temps. So mashed for almost an hour and a half just to be safe. Mash temp was closer to 149 and I was aiming for 153
President of the NBCBA

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 10:36:42 AM »
Jake, you saw that big of a difference in temperature drops between the two methods?  That's interesting.  I guess the grain in the mash tun would maybe act as an insulation to keep the heat in as you add the water?

I also noticed quite a drop in temp when putting water in first, then adding grain.  I usually have to go 4 to 5 degrees above sparge temp calculations so I've just adjusted my routine accordingly.

Maybe I will try the "grain first" technique and see what happens.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »
Not that im overly experienced with it... But I do what kyle mentioned (likely because I learned from him). Add grain as the water fills the mash tun.