Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Keg hopping  (Read 6513 times)

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
Keg hopping
« on: October 09, 2015, 07:33:50 AM »
I'm going to brew a double IPA soon and I was thinking about using half of my dry hop addition to keg hop. Just wondering how and what you put the hops in so they dont end up in your glass.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
Re: Keg hopping
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 09:19:15 AM »
When I do keg hopping I use whole leaf hops and I've made a filter that fits on the end of a sanke spear. But if you're using a  corny keg and pellet hops than I think some kind of bag or container like a large tea ball or one of those SS mesh cylinders would work just fine.

Offline DeMerch

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 09:20:34 AM »
I often use panyhose from the dollar store. I've also got a fancy SS mesh thing.

On my next batch I'm going to switch to this technique: http://www.bear-flavored.com/2014/09/how-i-dry-hop-my-ipas-with-no-oxygen.html
@DeMerch 2 - @Two Wheeler 1

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 09:57:16 AM »
You can dry-hop in kegs but from what I've read on HBT & Probrewr, dryhopping below a certain temp (i think it's around 60f degrees) takes a while to get same results - many saying dryhopping at fridge temps not nearly as effective as dryhopping at fermentation temps ... not to say you couldn't dry hop in keg at room temp for a couple days before you put in your fridge.
President of the NBCBA

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 11:28:48 AM »
I think I'll try keg hopping for 5-7 days before transferring to the fridge to carbonate. Just need to order a screen for the dip tube. Or use a muslin bag I guess.

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 04:08:50 PM »
I found a couple of "Trudeau" travel tea mugs at ValueVillage... The stainless mesh baskets in them are perfect for corny keg hopping, they hold 2+ ounce pellet hops each and the lids seal well.

The mugs can be found on ebay or amazon for quite cheap, def worth it. I far prefer those over the keg/carboy dry hopping mesh cylinders.

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 11:08:49 AM »
that's a great find and idea Pierre!  thanks for sharing  :cheers:

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 05:17:30 PM »
I found a couple of "Trudeau" travel tea mugs at ValueVillage... The stainless mesh baskets in them are perfect for corny keg hopping, they hold 2+ ounce pellet hops each and the lids seal well.

The mugs can be found on ebay or amazon for quite cheap, def worth it. I far prefer those over the keg/carboy dry hopping mesh cylinders.

Do you suspend yours in some way or just drop them in the bottom?

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 05:36:52 PM »
I just drop them in... It can't clog the out tube like a muslim bag might.

The only down side is you can't pull it back once it's in there but I don't see why you would need to?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline DeMerch

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 05:44:35 PM »
The only down side is you can't pull it back once it's in there but I don't see why you would need to?

You need to pull them or face the overpowering taste of grass that hops impart after 7 days + 1 minute of dry hopping!
@DeMerch 2 - @Two Wheeler 1

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 06:06:53 PM »
You just have to drink the keg within 7 days  :drunk: