Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hefe Help?  (Read 4512 times)

Offline d_hilchie

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hefe Help?
« on: November 23, 2017, 09:27:05 AM »
I found a kit at ontariobeerkegs.com that will brew 3.25 gal of a Hefeweizen. I then went to nbcbm.ca and built (from what I can tell) the same kit for roughly half the price! Do these quantities seem reasonable & comparable  for a 3.25 gal brew of a Hefe?

Here is what the ontariobeerkegs.com had:

Czech Saaz Hop Pellets (1 oz)   
Wheat Malt - OiO (1 lb) *Crushed*   
Pilsner Malt - Weyermann (1 lb) *Crushed*       
Fermentis WB-06 Weizen Dry Ale Yeast 

Here's my version made at nbcbm.ca :

Pilsner Base Malt (grain milled: Yes)
Wheat Malt (grain milled: Yes)
Saaz (cz) (Amount: Ounce (oz))
Fermentis WB-06 Safbrew

Next step would be to figure out how do I figure out my volumes and temperatures. Does everyone just pay for a site like beersmith or do people prefer spreadsheets? I'm not a fan of paying for a site to use to be honest but if it comes with enough conveniences & benefits than I would consider it.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
Re: Hefe Help?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 11:17:03 AM »
Those ingredients should be fine personally I'd use wyeast 3068 instead of wb-06 but that's just my preference. Do yourself a favor and get beersmith it's not very expensive it takes care of a whole bunch of calculations for you and keeps everything organized.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »
Those ingredients should be fine personally I'd use wyeast 3068 instead of wb-06 but that's just my preference. Do yourself a favor and get beersmith it's not very expensive it takes care of a whole bunch of calculations for you and keeps everything organized.
+1 for BeerSmith, it's invaluable. It's usually a little cheaper on OBK.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline d_hilchie

• Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 02:38:09 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone I placed my order for pick up. I can get over how cheap this is! Next step is to buy beersmith  :banana:

Offline d_hilchie

• Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 09:14:13 AM »
Just realized there was a "quantity 3" next to the Wheat Malt - OiO (1 lb) and the Pilsner Malt - Weyermann (1 lb)

So really my purchase should have been 3 lbs of wheat , 3 lbs of plisnter not 1 lb each....  :facepalm: I'll have to buy more and drive out  :lmao: with that being said, the price was only 1$ cheaper than OBK but I didn't have to wait for shipping.