Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Electric BIAB strike temp?  (Read 4032 times)

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 417
Electric BIAB strike temp?
« on: December 18, 2017, 01:11:11 PM »
What are peoples thoughts on strike temp and eBIAB? Do you set a strike temp or just let the controller bring temp back up as you mash in?

With my propane rig I would use a strike temp around 158 for a 152 mash, but now that I have an RIMS electric BIAB system I've gotten lazy and just set the controller to my mash temp. By the time I'm done stirring in the grain and start recirculating wort I'm only hovering a couple degrees below that and it recovers fairly quickly. Any pros/cons to either method?
Lee

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
Re: Electric BIAB strike temp?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 04:03:44 PM »
Most of the conversion happens in the first 15 minutes... If you are only a few degrees off and can adjust the temperature quickly, I don't think it would matter much...

Without calculating/adjusting the strike temp each time, it could end up being quite a bit off if you change variables in the grain bill/grain temps/mash thickness, etc.. 

Personally, I would calculate the mash strike water temperate and set the controller to that each time... Then adjust the controller to the desired mash temp when you are ready to recirculate (so it only has to maintain with very heating required post strike)... 

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.