Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bottling a Brett Beer  (Read 4346 times)

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bottling a Brett Beer
« on: June 26, 2019, 01:21:41 AM »
OK, year ago Easter I brewed a saison. Noble Grape had a marked down vial of WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix I, that was out of date. Was like 2/3rds off, so I figured what the hell.

Brewed the saison as per normal, racked into a carboy with the WLP, and left for 6 months. In Oct of last year I racked off half of it, and bottled, dumped 3lbs of frozen raspberries in the other half, and it has been sitting ever since. About time to bottle it.

Problem is, the first half bottled, never really carbed up fully, there was some, but even now 8 months later, not much carb. Itg tasted fine (actually turned out quite well IMHO for my first try at a mostly brett yeast), just never carbed fully.

Is there something I can add, along with the priming sugar, to maybe help carbonation in the bottle? Maybe a small amount of a neutral yeast? Or am I just asking for trouble and potential bottle bombs going that route?

Forego the bottling sugar altogether and just use carb drops? (Which I though was just crystallized priming sugar, so would still need some active yeast in the bottle to eat it)

Ideas?

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
Re: Bottling a Brett Beer
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 08:38:25 AM »
Use something like Safale F-2, Lallemand CBC-1 or a champagne yeast like EC-1118. Rehydrate 0.5-1g in 100-150ml of water and pitch along with your priming sugar. Condition your bottles warm (20-25C)

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 02:48:51 PM »
Would that be for a full 5G? Or does it matter much. Likely only have 2 to 2.5 gal left

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 05:00:24 PM »
2-2.5g should be just fine that's all I use for 5-6gallons of any sour beers and they carb up no problem.
 :cheers: