Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Turkey Fryer?  (Read 15069 times)

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Turkey Fryer?
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:39:28 AM »
Found this on Home Hardware.

http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Outdoor-Living/Seasonal/Barbecues/Outdoor-Burners/Propane/30-Quart-Stainless-Steel-Turkey-Fryer-Boiler-Set/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I6420770?Ntt=turkey+fryer

30quart (7.5gallon) SS pot with spigot valve, with 38000btu propane burner, plus a bunch of extras.

$110+HST, worth investing in for someone starting out with partial grain with the aspirations of getting into full grain eventually?

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
Re: Turkey Fryer?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 06:50:12 AM »
I think we all started out with a kit like this at some time.  However, the faucet will do you no good.  You won't get any fittings for it to connect tubing...

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »
Why would be any different with a propane burner than is someone had a propane stove? (or a regular stove for that matter) Just taking the burner and the moisture from the boil out of the house.

The spigot valve had me wondering if it could be used. If nothing else, at least is a pre-drilled hole for a ball valve.

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:10:57 AM »
Why would be any different with a propane burner than is someone had a propane stove? (or a regular stove for that matter) Just taking the burner and the moisture from the boil out of the house.

The spigot valve had me wondering if it could be used. If nothing else, at least is a pre-drilled hole for a ball valve.

Well I dont do partials but you will be working with only a few Litres at a time I assume? You will boil off quicker with propane, you will need to turn it way down or boil more.  And maintaining temp for any type of mash/steep might be tougher with propane... Definitely do-able, just seems like it might be a bit more difficult. Just my opinion

Offline Al-Loves-Wine

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 194
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 10:27:33 AM »
Well I think it would be a good starter to get you going. Like Dan mentioned, your steeping will be the only complicated part. But you would be alright as long as you did your steeping inside your house/shed/garage where you didn't lose much temperature. Then you could move outside for your boil. I did a partial about a month ago on my stove top, covered my old aluminum pot and it actually held temps quite well for an hour which had surprised me.

You should seriously consider coming to a mashoccur, or one of the meetings. You will go home with your head spinning with information. Chris can give you the details if you're interested.

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
If I bought one of the 7.5 gallon pots is there anyone in the club that can put a spigot on it?

Offline Al-Loves-Wine

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 194
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »
If I bought one of the 7.5 gallon pots is there anyone in the club that can put a spigot on it?

Club has a tool set you can sign out, should be a sign out sheet in Member section.

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 10:52:59 AM »
Would love to come to a meeting, unfortunately your meetings are Saturday afternoon, and I have a home based business (hobby shop) that Sat. afternoon is probably one of my busiest times.

My plan is to start with a partial grain kit (1 or 2), to get the feel of it, and in the process make a mash tun (usual drink cooler method) and go full grain afterwards.

Just thought this set up would be a good starting point so I am not buying more equipment when I do go full grain later on.

I guess my question would be to anyone that has seen this pot, is the spigot valve welded to the pot? Or threaded and held on with nuts?

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 11:33:21 AM »

Club has a tool set you can sign out, should be a sign out sheet in Member section.

Yeah, there's a punch that we bought specifically for this, but you'll need a weldless bulkhead and 1/2" ball valve.  Do you have those already?

Offline pliny

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 11:56:50 AM »
Get this and have it done with. No running around to save 10 bucks.

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/8_Gallon_Brew_Kettle_p/8-weldless-.htm

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 12:04:04 PM »

Ditto.. It's well worth the extra few dollars. You'll save in the end and it will make things much easier for yourself.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 12:14:59 PM »

You'll still need to buy a burner though.

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »
That's the thing, sure I save $10 on the pot, but the Home Hardware one comes with the burner, which separately is about $50. So in the end I am saving about $40 with the HH set up.

I do like the OBK pot though.

Wife wants to keep the boiling out of the house if at all possible. I have a coleman propane camp stove, just not sure if it would put out enough heat even with both burners to get 5 gallons to a boil. And I don't think the side burner on the BBQ would be enough to do it, nevermind the amount of weight on the side of the BBQ.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 12:42:48 PM »
Looks like a good deal to me I might get one of these for outdoor or social brewing since my electric setup is quite stationary. If the spigot sucks you can change it I can help you with that I built 3 kettles last year and have helped some other members punch holes. It's not very hard though. But if you need to find adapters for it you can likely find what you need at Eddy group one of our members Fhilo works there and can help you find almost anything you need to make it work.
  :cheers: