Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pilsner boil length and DMS  (Read 3818 times)

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
Pilsner boil length and DMS
« on: October 08, 2015, 01:41:28 PM »

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
Re: Pilsner boil length and DMS
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 02:43:39 PM »
Good to know... for what it's worth, I've done a couple pils beers (wit, kolsch) without extra boil time and have not noticed DMS, and no one else has mentioned it either. Nice to have a little bit of scientific validation.

One thing I think home brewers in general are learning is that harder/longer/more expensive does not always equal better beer.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 03:16:38 PM »
I have done a 60 minute boil on a DIPA with pils. But I just assumed all the hops could have hidden the dms. Good to know that you didn't notice it in something as light as a kolsch.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 08:36:31 PM »
Good to know... for what it's worth, I've done a couple pils beers (wit, kolsch) without extra boil time and have not noticed DMS, and no one else has mentioned it either. Nice to have a little bit of scientific validation.

One thing I think home brewers in general are learning is that harder/longer/more expensive does not always equal better beer.
That's true. But the same can be said for taking short cuts...

I generally do at least 75-90 boil times using pilsner or not but that's mostly because I begin heating the wort as soon as I lauter my first runnings into the kettle and the wort starts boiling before I'm done sparging. Once all my wort is collected I start timing the boil.
 Today for instance I brewed a batch and I let the first 4 gallons boil hard until the next batch of wort was ready then boiled the next 4 gallons hard until the final 5 gallons was in the kettle. I did this mostly to attempt to produce as much melanoidens as possible. I also sparged and recirculated twice for 25 min each time until the wort was crystal clear. So you could say I boiled for around 120 min. But only 60 with hops. So I doubt I'll notice any DMS...
 I'm going for a malty Amber Ale with some pumpkin spice in it.
I think everyone has a way they like do do things. My way might seem to be too much work for some people but I like the results. I'm not trying to save time obviously...

Offline DeMerch

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 09:23:23 AM »
"No sorry honey I can't help with the kids. I brewed with pilser and I HAVE to boil it for at least 90 minutes... Hey... NO! Stay away from that Brulosophy site!"
@DeMerch 2 - @Two Wheeler 1

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 10:24:58 AM »
I've brewed a fair amount with Pilsner using pretty significant percentages with 60 min boils, and have never had an issue ... that being said ... " and have never had an issue" are famous last words!

On a side note, thanks for the site, been browsing this killing time at work ... awesome site!

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »
On a side note, thanks for the site, been browsing this killing time at work ... awesome site!

Here's another couple in case you're interested

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/

http://www.bear-flavored.com/