• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Propane Set-Up

Started by Jake, November 03, 2011, 09:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

So when I was at Ian's house on Saturday, I was jealous of the fact that his propane was so much faster than my stove, so I decided I was going to try propane brewing. Also, propane is so cheap now since costco's come to town, that influenced the decision even more.

I went to both walmart and Crappy Tire to buy one of the propane stands with the alumium pots included and neither had them. I saw them at canadian tire just a couple months ago and almost bought one, but apparently they were red tagged recently and discontinued, and they no longer carry them. Same thing with Wal-Mart?!?! WTF is going on??

Anyone know where I can get a solid propane stand?

This is what I planned on buying ... I dont need the pot, just the stand.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/PropaneDeepFryers/PRD~0853230P/Aluminum+Turkey+Fryer%2C+36-qt.jsp?locale=en
President of the NBCBA

Richard

Summer vs winter stock. Try buying a hose-pipe in the winter and you have a similar problem.

I'm gunning for a stand too, so if I find one I'll post in this thread; if you do - vice-versa.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Kyle

uh, I think its because "normal" people don't buy propane appliances in winter. I have the same problem when I'm in a hardware shop trying to adapt everything to brewing purposes...
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Dean

I think the oromocto Canadian Tire still has them, I'll try to remember to look tomorrow

Richard

Thanks Dean. If it's less than 80 bucks could you grab me one and I'll chuck you the cash when I see you tomorrow?
Charter Member

Jmac00

home hardware can order them in anytime...they rarely keep stock anytime time of year anyways...lol

69.99 for this one.
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... pane&Num=1

i've seen burners at kent too.....for cdn tire, if you have a product number, just call each store. One store might have none, another might have 163....lol

DandyMason

Yeah I saw one at Home hardware on main street not long ago... If they dont have any in stock, they can order them.

Richard

Charter Member

DandyMason

Might just have to pick one of those up!

Brian_S

Quote from: "Jmac00"http://www.kent.ca/kbs/en/product.jsp?skuId=7649612&navAction=jump&prdId=7649612&catalogId=1198

looks like one on sale at kent.

I've been running the burner above since I started all grain and have no complaints.  However with my soon to be live 1/2 barrel setup I'm thinking of upgrading as those little legs don't look too stable with a 15Gal sanke sitting on top.

B
<No context>Dark and Dirty</No Context>

Jake

They propane stand I got from Home Hardware can eaily hold 10 gallon batches, super sturdy. You can tell just by looking at it that it's a though piece of equipment. Pretty easily brought the 50L up to boil in about 15-20 mins
President of the NBCBA

DandyMason

Yeah I picked that one up from Kent, definitely happy with it... Ended up heating up my water too fast, Had to let is sit to cool down a couple times... Really happy with the propane set up, shaved quite a bit of time off my brew day.

Kyle

Nice to see so many people going 10 gallons. I am reaching the limit of my patience for 5 gallon. Are you guys building brew stands?
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

DandyMason

I would love a brew stand someday... Afraid im not overly handy with that type of thing