• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

N00b

Started by jchakrav, September 27, 2011, 05:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jchakrav

Hi all-

Just signed up, and thought I'd introduce myself.
I'm Jason Chakravorty - new to homebrew, not new to beer.

Just started my second (extract) batch - IPA which I was hoping to dry hop, but I've not been able to find hops that are:
a) local; or
b) Not @#$% expensive to ship!

First batch - a Cooper's Pilsner kit turned out surprisingly well, and has been consumed with vigor.

I'm sure I will migrate to full grain at some stage, and will learn a lot from this forum - seems like there's a ton of knowledge here - hope I can give back as I learn.

Jake

President of the NBCBA

JohnQ

What kind of hops are you in search of? I've got about 10 pounds of various varieties, If I don't have it, likely someone here does.  They generally go for about $2/oz within the club.
Are you coming to the meeting on Saturday?

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Richard

Welcome. Like JQ I have some spare I can part with a few oz of... just let us know what you're after :)

If you don't know which variety, just let us know what beer you're looking to brew. No doubt you'll receive a barrage of helpful suggestions before long :)
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Kyle

I imagine that the core members of the group have at least 100 pounds of hops kicking around Fredericton, of nearly every variety.

I highly recommend Cascade for dry-hopping IPAs. I'll give you an ounce of it at the meeting if you like.

Ah yes, the Coopers kits... I did those for a couple of years.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

jchakrav

Wow, thanks all!

Cascade was what I was thinking - probably around 1-2oz, but I'd be grateful for advice/recommendations.
My kit IPA has been in the primary for just over 3 weeks now, is it too late to dry hop?

I'm unfortunately not going to be able to make it to the meeting on Saturday, but could meet up with a kindly hops donor/seller at a time/location of their choice.

Hopefully I'll be able to attend the next gathering, it'd be nice to put some faces to names.

Thanks again!

Kyle

You could still dry-hop for a week or so. An once seems to be a good amount. More doesn't seem to really add to the beer. I'll PM you my address.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

jchakrav

Fantastic, greatly appreciated - thanks!

jchakrav

Thanks to everyone for the responses!

Kyle sent me away with an ounce of Cascade - but not before letting me try some of his fantastic stout.
Even though he said it wasn't fully carbonated, it tasted amazing, and I left knowing I'd be trying full grain in the not too distant future.

JohnQ

It's a funny thing, we love having brewers doing all the methods in the club, but I don't think any of us who started out as extract types have stayed there long.
There seem to be lots of people in the club who are doing steeped grain and extract combos and are quite happy there.
I found that the jump to steeping grain was the biggest step in terms of quality and had the highest return on investment, since you need very little change in equipment needs and get an enormous jump in quality.  Before going crazy with all grain (like me), it might we worthwhile to investigate that option, it'll ease you into using grain.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

jchakrav

Thanks for the tip!

Did some reading last night on steeping (wow...that John Palmer "How to Brew" eBook is amazing!) - sounds like an excellent step beyond straight kit/extract brewing, I'll definitely give it a shot with my next batch.

For anyone new like me that hasn't read (or heard of) this "How to Brew" book - check it out: http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html.

Richard

I'd also recommend getting/borrowing/stealing:

Yeast - Zainasheff / White
Brewing Classic Styles - Zainasheff / Palmer
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

fakr

Welcome jchakrav,

I'm a relatively new guy here too, but can tell you they guys here have lots to share and don't hold back.  

To be honest, the step from extract kits like Coopers "IPA" to all grain is actually very easy and cheap as long as you were boiling your cooper kits before.  Mind you, it can become quite expensive as you get obsessed with improving your setup, like separate hot liquor tank, mash tun, kettle, chiller, conical fermentors, etc.

check out this video as just an example of the difference between a cooper kit (if you boil it and add hops) and complete all grain.  Difference is heating your kettle water to a certain temp (maybe 168F), adding big bag of grain, letting sit for 60 minutes, removing the bag of grain.  Boiling, hop additions, cooling and yeast pitching should all be the exact same.

Really just one extra step...steeping your grain in a bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0xWlr0OgXo

Very easy stuff and cheap if you start bare bones basic.  I unfortunately have spent at least $1500 in the past 3 months on equipment and supplies, so you can make it as expensive as you want too.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

jchakrav

Thanks!

Yes, I boiled my Cooper's kit - I chilled the Wort in my pool which worked well - though won't be quite as effective in the winter...
I like to make stuff, so building a Igloo cooler Mash Tun and wort chiller are actually pretty appealing projects.

I'll check out the video - I appreciate the link!