• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

What's Brewing?

Started by Two Wheeler, August 28, 2015, 02:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamie_savoie

Quote from: Two Wheeler on June 12, 2018, 08:37:51 AM
Sounds awesome Jamie!

What's your kettle sour set up/process?

1- Mash with some acid malt (something like 5-6%) (you can also use lactic acid but I find it easier using acid malt in the mash)
2- Sparge like normal and chill to 100F
3- Pitch lacto into the kettle. Either with a 2L lacto starter or open 2 caps or probiotic per litre. (I prefer making a starter using 2 caps, 5-6 days in advance). You can also pitch a handful of grains into the kettle but I'm not a fan.
4- Let it sour for 24-48h until desired pH level (aim for 3.3-3.5). A pH meter is handy here but you can also go by taste. It help speed up the process if you can keep the kettle in the 80-100F range.
5- Boil for 15 min, chill and pitch sacch yeast to clean up
6- 4-5 days after add your fruits addition if you have any
7- Ready for packaging after 2 weeks

You can also do a co pitch. So do a beer like normal, mash, sparge boil and chill. Pitch lacto starter for 2-3 days then pitch sacch. But this way you have less control on the final pH. I prefer this method for long term sour or if there's brett involved.

For kettle sour I use Jamieson probiotic which only has lacto-plantarum. For co-pitching I use Garden of Life (which is multi strains but it got plantarum, delbrueckii and brevis)

Two Wheeler

Awesome, thanks for the details! I might have to give this a try sometime. I think my main struggle would be maintaining the proper temp for any amount of time.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

jamie_savoie

Quote from: Two Wheeler on June 12, 2018, 10:03:24 AM
Awesome, thanks for the details! I might have to give this a try sometime. I think my main struggle would be maintaining the proper temp for any amount of time.
It's not a necessity holding the temp, it just help to sour faster. I keep my kettle at around 80-85F using 2 wine belts. Plantarum don't mind lower temp (70-80F)

robcoombs

Quote from: jamie_savoie on June 12, 2018, 09:54:20 AM
Quote from: Two Wheeler on June 12, 2018, 08:37:51 AM
Sounds awesome Jamie!

What's your kettle sour set up/process?

1- Mash with some acid malt (something like 5-6%) (you can also use lactic acid but I find it easier using acid malt in the mash)
2- Sparge like normal and chill to 100F
3- Pitch lacto into the kettle. Either with a 2L lacto starter or open 2 caps or probiotic per litre. (I prefer making a starter using 2 caps, 5-6 days in advance). You can also pitch a handful of grains into the kettle but I'm not a fan.
4- Let it sour for 24-48h until desired pH level (aim for 3.3-3.5). A pH meter is handy here but you can also go by taste. It help speed up the process if you can keep the kettle in the 80-100F range.
5- Boil for 15 min, chill and pitch sacch yeast to clean up
6- 4-5 days after add your fruits addition if you have any
7- Ready for packaging after 2 weeks

You can also do a co pitch. So do a beer like normal, mash, sparge boil and chill. Pitch lacto starter for 2-3 days then pitch sacch. But this way you have less control on the final pH. I prefer this method for long term sour or if there's brett involved.

For kettle sour I use Jamieson probiotic which only has lacto-plantarum. For co-pitching I use Garden of Life (which is multi strains but it got plantarum, delbrueckii and brevis)

This should be a permanent note on the forum for people to easily find. Simple, straight forward, well explained.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

mikegraham

First brew day in over 2 months it will be a basic pale ale for the rest of the summer. Now to plan something different for next week to brew.

pliny

Same here, I hadn't brewed since April 30th.
Brewed a Belgian Bruin/Belgian Dubbel (Leffe Brune Clone) on Tuesday. Not super strong or anything, but I think if it finishes where I think, it'll be something like 5.9% ABV (instead of the suggested 6.5%ABV) which is fine with me given that I'll end up with 10 gallons of it.

Two Wheeler

Oh man I'm way behind on brewing it's been super nice and busy this summer. And my keg fridge died! Gotta get back at it!
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

mikegraham

Sounds like we are all in the same boat here

jamie_savoie

I'm quite the opposite here, brewing like twice per months. Two weeks ago I did a hopfenweisse with hull melon, I have a starter ready to brew a NEIPA and I also have a lacto starter for more fruited/hoppy sours

feldmann

I've gotten really behind with brewing. I'm brewing today for the first time in two months. I told myself that I wasn't making any plans besides brewing and cleaning the house inbetween.

I guess its probably a little late in the season now but I'm making some summer beers in the next few days/weeks. Today I'm brewing a Weizen, next on the list is a Belgian Pale Ale followed by a Saison.

I need to get my sour and wild beer pipeline going again...that dried up a long time ago...

shazapple

I've started brewing 10 gal batches which is nice but cuts down on the variety.
Lee

feldmann

Everytime I brew something really good I wish that I brewed 10Gal. Everytime I brew something awful I'm glad I brew 5Gal.

mikegraham

Quote from: feldmann on July 22, 2018, 09:03:47 PM
Everytime I brew something really good I wish that I brewed 10Gal. Everytime I brew something awful I'm glad I brew 5Gal.

Some weekend you want to split a 10 let me know. Like doing the 10 but wiah I have more variety

mikegraham

Quote from: shazapple on July 22, 2018, 08:40:15 PM
I've started brewing 10 gal batches which is nice but cuts down on the variety.
Reason we need a keg swap  :lmao: :drink:

mikegraham

Hump day brew night why did I do this it's so hot out. Brewing a brown ale