• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

What's Brewing?

Started by Two Wheeler, August 28, 2015, 02:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECH

Doing a Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest clone on Labor Day. Made it last year and got rave reviews from friends. Changing it slightly to adjust to quantities I have of the ingredients.

Roger

Today I'm brewing a Vienna pale ale. I'm gonna try using just Vienna as my only malt, bitter with a bit of Polaris and use freshly harvested Hersbruker hops in the mash and for my flavour and aroma additions. Not quite sure what yeast I'll use yet. I might just do US-05 in one and S04 in the other or Conan in one and Kolsch in the other.
Either way it sould be interesting...

Two Wheeler

Nice roger, I've been intrigued by an all-Vienna beer in the past. I'll be interested to taste these!
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Jake

I will gladly drink some too ... I've never had a homebrew'd version of this beer
President of the NBCBA

Roger

Quote from: Jake on September 03, 2015, 02:14:53 PM
I will gladly drink some too ... I've never had a homebrew'd version of this beer
You've had a commercial one?

Jake

Yes, well I think I have anyways ... i've had a commercial version of a vienna lager that I bought at one point while in Maine ... it was decent.

If a brewery brands a beer as vienna lager, safe to assume it's likely brewed with Vienna as a base malt? That's what I assumed but maybe I'm wrong in this assumption.
President of the NBCBA

Roger

Quote from: Jake on September 04, 2015, 08:44:48 AM
Yes, well I think I have anyways ... i've had a commercial version of a vienna lager that I bought at one point while in Maine ... it was decent.

If a brewery brands a beer as vienna lager, safe to assume it's likely brewed with Vienna as a base malt? That's what I assumed but maybe I'm wrong in this assumption.
Yes your right a Vienna lager is made with Vienna as a base malt. I thought you meant the same as the ale recipe I was doing.
I ended up using Conan and Kolsch yeasts. I imagine you'll get to try it...

Jake

Quote from: Roger on September 04, 2015, 09:30:41 AM
Quote from: Jake on September 04, 2015, 08:44:48 AM

Yes your right a Vienna lager is made with Vienna as a base malt. I thought you meant the same as the ale recipe I was doing.
I ended up using Conan and Kolsch yeasts. I imagine you'll get to try it...

Nah man, I'm good. Your beer is usually pretty questionable ...  :lol:

...but on a serious note, looking forward to trying em
President of the NBCBA

robcoombs

Brewing a red IPA today and likely taking apart my grain mill. It was giving me grief this morning.

paulmaybee

Quote from: robcoombs on September 04, 2015, 12:33:18 PM
Brewing a red IPA today and likely taking apart my grain mill. It was giving me grief this morning.
Looking forward to trying that.
on tap: IPA
fermenting: Roseway Red, Rye IPA, Tripel, Flanders Red, Sour #1
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA

Two Wheeler

Is that the OBK mill Rob? Finicky bastards they are
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

robcoombs

Quote from: Two Wheeler on September 04, 2015, 06:09:36 PM
Is that the OBK mill Rob? Finicky bastards they are
Honestly I'm not sure. I got it from Chris, it doesn't have OBK anywhere on it. It has been solid for the last year and a half so I guess I can't complain.

Al-Loves-Wine

Brewing up my harvest ale today, and Imperial Harvest at that. Friend of mine had a real good first year on Columbus so it should be a 100+ IBU hop bomb with Columbus, cascade, centennial and goldings.

robcoombs

Unexpected brew day. Making another Red IPA. Changing up the hops and a little of the grain bill.

robcoombs

Also decided to bottle a RIS I brewed in January. Had a stuck fermentation and decided to pitch brett dregs a couple of months ago to lower the FG. @jamie_savoie helped save this batch.