• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Etching kettle volume markings

Started by Two Wheeler, April 01, 2015, 10:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Wheeler

I've been eyeing up its project for quite a while: https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3113-etch-your-kettle-projects

I've been using a ruler and a spreadsheet formula to calculate volumes, but that's not always easy with hot wort.

I decided to take the plunge this week. The hardest part was marking the volumes and taping off the lines. Here's a couple pics of the results.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Fhilo

Jake

That is pretty bad ass ... cool project!
President of the NBCBA

Scott

Wow that looks great. I use a ruler and calculator, this would be much better.

paulmaybee

on tap: IPA
fermenting: Roseway Red, Rye IPA, Tripel, Flanders Red, Sour #1
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA

Roger

Good job looks very well done. Is it still as easy to read when full of boiling wort?

Two Wheeler

Quote from: Roger on April 02, 2015, 09:31:21 AM
Good job looks very well done. Is it still as easy to read when full of boiling wort?

Yet to be tested, I'll report back when I do. It came out a little lighter than I pictured it, so that's a bit of a concern.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Cuba

Cool! I wonder if you used a darker salt or vinegar if the etching would come out darker. I'm definitely asking my brother when I get home.

JamesC

Quote from: Cuba on April 02, 2015, 01:05:42 PM
Cool! I wonder if you used a darker salt or vinegar if the etching would come out darker. I'm definitely asking my brother when I get home.

From the info in the link, there's this:

"The power source should be around 9 to 12 volts. Batteries work great. If you have a spare DC wall adapter lying around, that would work perfectly in place of a battery. Running DC power (like from a battery) or a DC adapter will leave a frosty white mark. If you run AC power, it will burn in a darker black mark. Both marks will be permanent."

Two Wheeler

Good catch James... I used a 12v motorcycle battery for this, and it was fairly white.

Roger- The markings were visible with boiling wort, I'd sometimes need to move the bubbles out of the way with a long spoon
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

mcgster

I did the same thing with my pot but i must say your markings stand out a bit more than mine do. It definitely was a worthwhile project though.

Looks great!