• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Whirlpool / Recirculation arm

Started by Two Wheeler, March 29, 2015, 09:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Wheeler

Hey folks,

Today was project day. I have one of those 12 volt brew pumps and want to start using it. I use a plate chiller, and so far have just been using gravity, but I want to start using the pump. I want to be able to recirculate boiling wort through the pump and chiller to sanitize it. I don't really want to poke a hole and install another ball valve in the kettle, so I came up with this recirculation arm that can just hang over the pot. Picture it with a camlock on the short side.

Anyway, I have it mocked up, but have never soldered copper before and don't have knowledge or importantly the tools. It's not a cheap set of equipment for a small job like this. (Would this be a good suggestion for the club tool box?) . Anyway, would anyone be able to help me solder this together sometime this week for some beer?

Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

JamesC

I can manage that if you want. Just give the parts to Pam and she can get them to me.

Two Wheeler

Awesome, thanks James!

Does anyone see any flaws to this idea?
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Roger

Looks good to me I've got the same thing but its attached to my immersion chiller.

pliny

Quote from: Two Wheeler on March 30, 2015, 09:01:59 AM
Awesome, thanks James!

Does anyone see any flaws to this idea?

Do you have a pick up tube at the bottom of your kettle?

This may sound minor but you want to make sure that the direction that the whirlpool goes is one way(ex: clock-wise) and if there's a tube at the bottom where you empty your kettle - it should go in the other direction.

Make sure that your copper elbow at the bottom points in the direction you want it to create that whirlpool.

I have a similar setup but I used CPVC. It's not pretty and I have to adjust it a bit here and there but it works. Cools the wort relatively quickly by my standards. Gets from 210F-140F in about 4mins.

Good job.