• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.
Main Menu

therometer

Started by Roger, February 24, 2015, 12:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffsmith

Can't beat a Thermapen for sure. It is well worth the money.

robcoombs

I had this happen last weekend. I did go through my first decoction mash to salvage the beer...hopefully. I'm now looking for another thermometer, how are you liking your new one @Roger ? I'm not sure if I want to splurge on a thermapen just yet.

Roger

Quote from: robcoombs on August 11, 2015, 09:14:51 PM
I had this happen last weekend. I did go through my first decoction mash to salvage the beer...hopefully. I'm now looking for another thermometer, how are you liking your new one @Roger ? I'm not sure if I want to splurge on a thermapen just yet.
It's great! I use it all the time several times a day in fact for cooking and brewing. There isn't any joints so no moving parts to break. My last one was made by Taylor and it had a joint where the probe would fold into the handle like the therma pen and that's where it failed. This new one is one piece I can calibrate it any time I want, I can easily switch from c to f and fast readouts. I'm sure the therma pen is great but for the price I paid this one is well worth it. It's the same one @JohnQ has and I think he's happy with it too.

JohnQ

So here's another interesting low cost alternative....
http://thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html
On sale today for $15 US at thermapen, 6 second reading and dishwasher safe, so that should mean drop in the mash tun safe as well!

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Waterlogged

Well I can't justify a thermapen but I needed a new thermometer so I ordered this one Jon mention.  Special Canadian Fed Ex shipping so in total $29 US shipped to my door.  It would have been $20 US shipped to Houlton.  So bout $100 Canadian. 

Quote from: JohnQ on August 12, 2015, 08:59:24 AM
On sale today for $15 US at thermapen, 6 second reading and dishwasher safe, so that should mean drop in the mash tun safe as well!

JQ
Fermenting: Air
On Tap: Hoppy Porter
Bottled:  Air

JohnQ

Quote from: Waterlogged on August 12, 2015, 09:39:38 AM
Well I can't justify a thermapen but I needed a new thermometer so I ordered this one Jon mention.  Special Canadian Fed Ex shipping so in total $29 US shipped to my door.  It would have been $20 US shipped to Houlton.  So bout $100 Canadian. 

JQ

Well that seems like a no-brainer, $29 for a dishwasher safe stick thermo, it even has the thin tip so if you have a self sealing temp port like I put on my first system it will work.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Roger

Yea that looks like a good deal. The only thing its missing is the calibration feature. I had a issue with a thermometer that read too high but I couldn't change it so it was a PITA! However themo works is a pretty good brand so you might not have that problem.

Waterlogged

Wow.  ordered this on Wednesday and it was in my mailbox at noon today less than 48 hours after the emailed me that it had shipped.  That was worth the extra 9 bucks for Canadian shipping.
Fermenting: Air
On Tap: Hoppy Porter
Bottled:  Air

Two Wheeler

Thermoworks is a great company to deal with!
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

robcoombs

JQ

I decided to order this last night. Hopefully I'll get it before brewday this weekend. The "drop in the mashtun safe" feature sold me as I'm a bit of a clutz.