• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.
Main Menu

Blow off tube

Started by ECH, April 06, 2014, 01:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECH

What do you guys suggest to used for a blow off tube, to use on a glass carboy as a fermentor?

Was into NG in Burnside today and they didn't really have much, and suggested I use a piece of hard plastic tubing (like from a racking tube) in a rubber cork in the top of the carboy, with a piece of hose attached going into a bucket of sterisan.

Now I get the concept, but wouldn't a racking tube be too small and easily blocked? The guy I talked to said that is the way he did it and has never had a blow out, of course he didn't specify if he was brewing beer or wine.

Just seems like it wouldn't be a large enough tube to sufficiently allow for enough gas/foam to escape without blowing off the whole top, cork and all.

Chris Craig

That's how I do it, but you could look for a large tube that fits the carboy opening. I'm not sure where you'd find some that is food grade though.

Roger

If you take a regular rubber bung and drill out the hole to accommodate a 1/2 tube. That will likely be your best bet. This is what I did after blowing the lid off a bucket and covering the room with nasty sludge.  :facepalm:

Roger

Quote from: Roger on April 06, 2014, 10:00:06 AM
If you take a regular rubber bung and drill out the hole to accommodate a 1/2 tube. That will likely be your best bet. This is what I did after blowing the lid off a bucket and covering the room with nasty sludge.  :facepalm:

feldmann

You've pretty much got what I use. I had an extra airlock & bung and siphon so I used the tube from the siphon, removed the airlock from the bung and replaced it with the tube then run it into a glass filled with water and sanitizer.