• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Potentiometer/Rheostat

Started by feldmann, March 03, 2014, 04:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feldmann

I rigged up a stirplate about two months ago and was waiting on a Potentiometer from the source. I just got an email from them this morning (a month and a half after placing an order that they said would take 4-6 business days to arrive) saying they no longer stock Potentiometers or Rheostats. I've tried using my stirplate without it but it spins too fast and just throws the stir bar off. I tried adding things under my flask to distance the bar from the magnet but I haven't had any luck.

Where did everyone else find a Potentiometer or Rheostat? I'm having no luck online for anything under $30 after shipping.

blisster

I think, for the most part, we have built our stir plates using old computer parts (computer hard drive magnets, chassis fans, and fan speed controllers).

DX.com has great prices on computer parts but shipping is quite slow, orders typically takes 2-3 weeks, sometimes 4 to get here.

This is the fan speed controller I used, worked great:
http://dx.com/p/12w-speed-controller-for-heatsink-cooling-fan-dc-5-12v-171354#.UxTlCoWJ2jU

http://dx.com/p/pc-cpu-cooling-fan-speed-controller-front-bay-mount-5986#.UxTj3oWJ2jU
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

fakr

I have 3 or 4 spare computer fan controllers in the garage but wont be to fredericton for a few weeks or more.  If you are in moncton soon feel free to look me up.  I forget what i paid for them but $5 i'm sure would cover it.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

feldmann

That would be awesome, it would probably take around that time for it to arrive in the mail if I ordered it online anyway and I'm in no rush.

Chris Craig

jamie_savoie

if you need hard drive magnets or chassis fans I have plenty

Kyle

Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

pliny

Quote from: feldmann on March 03, 2014, 04:15:06 PM
I rigged up a stirplate about two months ago and was waiting on a Potentiometer from the source. I just got an email from them this morning (a month and a half after placing an order that they said would take 4-6 business days to arrive) saying they no longer stock Potentiometers or Rheostats. I've tried using my stirplate without it but it spins too fast and just throws the stir bar off. I tried adding things under my flask to distance the bar from the magnet but I haven't had any luck.

Where did everyone else find a Potentiometer or Rheostat? I'm having no luck online for anything under $30 after shipping.

I know this is from a while back, but are you still looking for a rheostat?
I have one kicking around at home.