• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Mash tun cooler conversion parts list

Started by Brian_S, May 01, 2011, 12:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_S

As requested.

http://www.thinkingfreshservices.com/ho ... shTun.aspx

The owner of the site above is a user on Craftbrewing.ca but I can't remember his name.

B
<No context>Dark and Dirty</No Context>

Jake

Question. Converting my cooler and I managed to break the rubber seal that came on the cooler (half inch piece of rubber that I was supposed to save built in with the spout). The spout wouldn't screw off so I had to pretty well rip it out and I managed to rip the rubber seal ... Is it really necessary or would a rubber washer do the trick?

... part is hard to describe but it's a half inch rubber seal. If you've done the conversion, chances are you know the part I'm talking about.
President of the NBCBA

Jmac00

Heads up to anyone wanting to build one like in the link, those 48qt coolers are on sale at Walmart for $20.  ;)

Jake

So worst case scenario I'll need to pick up another cooler at wal-mart. thanks for the info lol
President of the NBCBA

JohnQ

Which cooler do you have Jake? same as mine?
If it is the igloo, then the washer that came with is supposed to go, and be replaced by a food grade silicone one I think.
JW
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Jake

it wasn't the igloo cooler, it is the 48 qt rectangular coleman cooler. It's the part that fits partially inside the hole on the inside of the cooler. Yea I figured that any food grade o-ring or washer would probably do the trick in terms of sealing any potential leaks. Looking to do my first batch in the coming days once I get the mash tun together.

I bought a half inch stainless braided tube thingy (yet to cut and remove hose) ... will half inch work well, or do I need to go bigger?
President of the NBCBA

JohnQ

half inch is fine, remember you're pushing the braid off, not pulling...it is a chinese finger puzzle.
JW
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Jake

So I can't seem to get my hands on any stainless steel parts for the conversion, so looks like i'm using brass. Planning on treating it first in a solution to make sure it's safe.
Quick question: I bought a wort chiller from hopdogs made of copper ... does this need to be treated in any way or is it safe to use?
President of the NBCBA

Jake

just read to treat copper with white vinegar before the first time I use it. necessary?
President of the NBCBA

Ian Grant

I never treated my i'm pretty sure copper is fine untreated..

Brian_S

As long as you cleaned the copper first (and its 100% copper) I don't think treatment is needed.  
I've got a few brass valves in my tun which I treated with vinegar and peroxide to removed surface lead (but it was only .005% alloy to begin with) and I seem to be OK..... Now Time to go back to that building thingy where my beds and TV is.

B
<No context>Dark and Dirty</No Context>

Kyle

Copper is safe to use. you know your drinking water pipes: copper  :lol:

I'm also fairly certain that there is lead solder on most of the pipes in older houses and apartments.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --