• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Ugly Drum Smoker

Started by Justin C, June 20, 2013, 11:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin C

A friend gave me a used 55 Gallon drum to convert into a smoker. Just have to finish the paint job, and season it with a test run and it will be good to go for some pork shoulder and brisket.

brew

This looks cool. Hard to build?
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Justin C

Not really. The hardest parts are cutting the top off and keeping it intact (doesn't apply if you can get a open head drum) and burning it out. I didn't have to make a charcoal box as I had something already, but even that part is not very hard.

brew

Cool I have some of these drums, we'll have to get together sometime, maybe you'd be willing to tell me how to build a smoker!
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Justin C

Yup, can do that. they are pretty easy to make and work very well. I will part up the parts list later if anyone is interested.

mondokanu

yeah, please list it out.  Would be interested to see what you used.  Very industrious.  Burning it out must have been fun...

HappyHax0r

I'm going to do a dual hot/cold smoker build with either construction block or a drum soon...
Primary: #1, 2, 3, 4 (Air, Air, Air, Air)
Kegs     #1, 2, 3, 4 (C02, C02, C02, C02)

HappyHax0r

I'd go drum if I could find a 55 gallon drum for a reasonable price.

Chris Craig

I paid $25 for mine a couple of years ago from the scrap yard by the recycling depot...

HappyHax0r

HappyHax0r

Chris Craig

I'm not sure of the name of the place.  It was a few years ago.

Roger

Could also be Greer's Mountain Salvage off Hanwell behind the purolator depot.

Chris Craig

Whatever it's called, it's out on Timothy Ave.

Justin C

There is a guy at the end of Glasier Rd in Lincoln that sells them for $25. My buddy was just out there a couple of weeks ago to get bait barrels for bear hunting. The guy post ads on kijiji as well.

1- 55 steel gallon drum unlined (or burn/ sandblast liner out)
1- 3/4" brass ball valve (I used a brass gate valve as it was cheaper)
3- 3/4" x close black steel pipe nipples
2- 3/4" black steel pipe caps
6- 3/4" conduit nuts
4- 1 1/2" x 1/4" bolts, 1/4" nuts, 1/4" lock washers (grill mount)
gate handles and hardware
1- 22.5" weber grate
1- fire basket (made from expanded steel, I used the spark stopper from a old fire pit.) photo shows how it is made from expanded steel.
7- 3/4" washers (spacers on nipples)