• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

For the electrical nerds

Started by Jake, June 18, 2013, 03:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

I'm starting to build a house in August and planning to put an electric brewery in basement, similar to what JQ has going on. I'm leaning toward a 1 barrell system, so will likely be looking to install either 2 4500 watt elements in the kettle (or two 5500 watt elements, or combo of one of each). The HLT will have one, maybe two elements also.

I'm meeting with my electrician either tonight or tomorrow and I want to tell him that I'll need a sub-panel in the brewery for this. Electrical is like chinese to me so was hoping to get some help here with how large of a sub-panel to have installed. So additional to the 3, maybe 4 electric elements, I'll have a range hood, 2 pumps, and maybe even an A/C for a walk in fridge eventually ... then maybe one or two other items that would have a minimal draw. Come to think of it, I likely won't need to run my HLT while the Boil is going, so likely only running 2 elements at a time maximum.

Based on this information, what size pannel sounds reasonable for this for me to suggest? I really have no idea what to tell him other than I'm building a brewery. lol
President of the NBCBA

Chris Craig

Watts = Amps * Volts, so...

16500 (3 x 5500 watt elements) / 220v = 75 amp minimum.  I'd say you'd need a 100 amp service just for your brewery.

JohnQ

Yeah, I'd suggest a 100 amp sub-panel, that would allow you do anything you need.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Jake

Great. Thanks guys. Something to mention tonight to the electrician ... to bad he doesn't drink!!
President of the NBCBA

Fhilo

Hey Jake,

Let me know when you get close... I can get some some deals on rough in stuff for the plumbing/electrical...

Kyle

yeah, with 100amps, you'll have plenty of room. The cost of having it installed once properly is much less than having to upgrade later. This will also give you room for other things like a walk-in cooler, dishwasher, on-demand water heater, you know, essentials.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

McKraken

Yup, 3 x 5500W 240V elements will work on 100 Amps.  Just as a rule, never load more than 80%.
Kevin McF.
On Tap - Nil
Aging - Koodlik Fuel 25/04/2013