• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Looking to Aquire: Big Pot and CO2 Tank

Started by Fhilo, April 08, 2013, 11:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fhilo

Hi,

If anyone has a 10gal or so cheap pot for sale (SS or Alum) Looking to get one just for boiling water.

Also looking for a used 5 or 10lb CO2 tank...

PM if you have anything to offer/ leads to get one

Thanx!

F-hilo

DandyMason

They have those 50 L SS pots at home hardware for like 70 bucks... They are pretty nice.

For your co2... it might be worth considering Noble grape honestly.

http://noblegrape.ca/other/tanks-co2/

I know for me im paying 60-65 bucks for my 20 lb and noble grape will exchange for 40. Im thinking I will be switching here soon. I dont think there is as much savings with the smaller NG tanks though

Richard

Quote from: "DandyMason"I know for me im paying 60-65 bucks for my 20 lb and noble grape will exchange for 40. Im thinking I will be switching here soon.

That's really good pricing btw.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

chrismccull

I wonder why CO2 would be cheaper to go with NG versus filling it yourself elsewhere?

The HH stainless pots are thin, rather cheap quality.  The best stainless one is from Ontario beer kegs, or make a keggle.  The other option is to buy an aluminum one like mine, I think it was $85 for 60 litres.

Richard

Well their site states it's 190 for the 20lb, so I'm not sure what deal Dandy's getting there - and they only trade CO2 cylinders that were bought from them.
Charter Member

JohnQ

Quote from: "Richard"Well their site states it's 190 for the 20lb, so I'm not sure what deal Dandy's getting there - and they only trade CO2 cylinders that were bought from them.

Yes, it's only ones that were purchased there, once my 5#er (was $99 from them) gets close to inspection time it's going to trade, but the individual fills are not much different on a 5#er than Glen.

The price for the 20# fill is really good, you just need to figure out the amort of spending the $190 up front across saving the $15 or so each fill. It will make sense at some point.

To answer the "how can it be cheaper" question, filling CO2 in bigger centers is A LOT cheaper than here. When I lived at the center of the universe, I was shocked when the fill jumped from $20 to $25 for my 20#er just before I moved here 3 years ago. AFAIK, NG is getting them filled in Halifax for much less than we pay here.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

DandyMason

Nope im not getting any deals? Yes you have to purchase from NG inititally... The 20 lbers are 190 there which is quite a bit... Last time I went out to Glen I paid 63 bucks or something. saving 20 bucks or so per fill.. I would make that 190 money back in 9 or 10 fills, whatever. Seems like a no-brainer. Their tanks come up from halifax so im assuming co2 is just plain cheaper around there. And yeah Like I mentioned, I dont think there is any benefit in the smaller NG tanks.

Richard

Sorry I misinterpreted what you were saying - thought you said you'd gotten the 20lb tank from NG for 65 :)

That makes more sense.
Charter Member

DandyMason

Ohhh, THAT would be quite a deal for sure haha

DandyMason

Just thinking about it more here... It would take like 10 exchanges for the NG tanks to be worth it... 10 fills of my 20 lber for me would be a damn long time to wait to make that money back hahaha...

Richard

Also assumes they maintain the same pricing, but realistically when I was brewing properly (1-2 kegs/month minimum) I went through 20lbs in about 4 months... plus leaks do happen occasionally.
Charter Member

DandyMason

Very good point. Im about 6 months with mine also.

Chris Craig

Quote from: "Richard"Also assumes they maintain the same pricing, but realistically when I was brewing properly (1-2 kegs/month minimum) I went through 20lbs in about 4 months... plus leaks do happen occasionally.

I went through about 15-18 kegs with my 10 lb tank.  You must have had a slow leak there Richard.

Richard

Charter Member

Kyle

+1 to CC RE Richard having a slow leak. I'm on only my fourth 20# 'er over 5 years, and I brew A LOT of beer.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --