• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Looking to build a 30 gallon system.

Started by Richard, August 23, 2012, 11:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

So I want to make a feckin' huge system for my house (when, that is, I have a house: which will be soon). I've not got the time to spend five hours brewing five gallons any more.

I'm not yet 100% on the setup - but I'm leaning towards three level tuns and two pumps.. Mostly right now, I need to find two thirty gallon tuns and one 40-50 gallon tun. Anyone have any good ideas on where to source this without resorting to Blichmann-esque levels of throwing money at people?

Currently my plan involves trawling through Best Metals' scrap supplies, but if anyone has any leads...
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Kyle

let me know if you want help with a control panel! Personally I do find 10 gallons to be "sufficient" although if you are aging lambics and such a bigger capacity is good. You may want to design the system so it can still brew smaller batches, like 10gal for testing new recipe ideas. As you recall, even at 10gal my experimential Amber IPA was tough sledding.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Richard

Yeah if I want to do a test batch I can just use my current gear. Also, I think I'll be using burners rather than electrical elements.
Charter Member

Kyle

An electrical system is more expensive up front than gas, although you could do 30 gallons for the same price as ten, concerning the electrical equipment. Then you get to brew in the comfort of the house, no running out of propane in the middle of the boil, and best of all: winter brewing is actually enjoyable!
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Richard

Yeah I'm not 100% on that yet, depends on what kinda garage we have, if any.
Charter Member