• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Home made stir plate

Started by DandyMason, July 05, 2012, 06:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyMason

Just trying out my stir plate I built... something weird is going on...

I have one of those hard drive fans with a 9V power supply. The stir bar starts to spin and then gets thrown to the side....

Is 9V too high?

Richard

Sounds it - try building a potential divider with a variable resistor and putting that in the mix... failing that, get a stronger magnet.

Also my understanding is that the stir bar should be spinning around its axis - maybe you've got it off?
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

DandyMason

Ahhh true, Maybe I dont have the magnet centred in the fan... Because I thought I had read of ppl using up to 12V... I could be wrong though.

Ill take a look at the placement of the magnet...

Its weird, WITHOUT water the stir bar spins like it should... WITH water it gets tossed to the side...

brew

Yeah I found 9v a bit too high for mine - I used a spare 7.5v adapter and it worked much better. I also went to The Source and picked up a POT for like $6 - if you hook that up like a switch, you can turn down the speed...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

DandyMason

Yeah Im definitely thinking 9 V is too much now... Ill find a 7.5V and swap them...

How do you hook up those potentiometers to adjust speed?

brew

The POT at The Source that I bought looks a lot like the one in figure 5 on this site: http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm

Figure 6 shows some wiring alternatives. I use mine as a variable resistor...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

DandyMason

k this is really confusing me now...

I got a power supply that can switch from different voltages... so I was able to try this at a bunch of different voltages. I can sometimes get it stirring without being thrown to the sides at 4.5 volts, but it seems any higher the stir bar just gets sent to the side.

Is it possible that my stir bar is too small for my flask? I ordered one of the small stir bars and have a 5L flask... so it seems like its pretty easy for the stir bar to avoid the magnet on the fan... Any ideas? Maybe a longer stir bar? or a stronger magnet?

DandyMason

False alarm guys, Im a complete idiot hahaha

The fan/magnet was simply too far away from the flask... I had it mounted to the bottom of my stir plate instead of the top...

Anyways... All voltages are working now... even 9 and 12 V although they are really vigorous.

Thanks for the help!

brew

Glad to hear it man - post a pic if you can...
NBCBA Treasurer

DandyMason

Sure thing, it isnt pretty though

DandyMason

It gets the job done though... Might at some point invest in a nicer box when this one gets wet hahah

brew

NBCBA Treasurer

pliny

Perfect man.
I've seen some folks use a wooden cigar box.

jeffsmith

Nice work! I've got mine in an old plastic zip lock container. I'd been thinking about picking up a weather proof electrical junction box from Kent/Home Depot for a little more solid, long term solution.

DandyMason

Thanks guys, yeah a cigar box would be perfect! and Jeff I had thought of using some tupperware, still an option.

But this box is strong enough for now anyway, until I find a better one... I was thinking of heading to the dollar store and grabbing one of those small boxes ppl use for gift wrapping.