• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Now that I've sold the 20 gallon Mash Tun, will this work?

Started by JohnQ, April 26, 2012, 06:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnQ

OK, I've decided I needed to increase my Mash Tun to 30 Gallons so I can mash higher gravities without pissing around, so I now have a 20 gallon HLT, which may not be able to provide enough strike water... If that looks like it's going to be a problem, is there anything wrong with trying this...

Go to this calculator...
http://www.brewheads.com/tempchange.php

Heat the HLT water up to 210ish, calculate how much 55 degree water would be needed to change the temp to 170 at the final volume I want, add that much cold water to the grain first, the same then add the 210 water from bottom up to get final volume and temp correct?

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Jake

Yea I'm sure that would work fine, but to be that's just creating alot more work and you're adding more factors in there to miss your mash temp

Just pick up a couple more overtime shifts and go for the 30L HLT  :rock:
President of the NBCBA

Jake

President of the NBCBA

Chris Craig

You could also just use the Mash Adjust tool included with BeerSmith 2.

JohnQ

Quote from: "ChrisCraig"You could also just use the Mash Adjust tool included with BeerSmith 2.

Thanks Chris, hadn't seen that tool in there before.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

fakr

I'd say screw it and just order the 30GAL HLT Senior!  hehe!

yeah, I'd say that would definitely work.  Its the final mash temp you're looking for so...Probably not a good idea to transfer the hot water and add cold though...but I'm sure you were thinking the same.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Richard

Since you got rid of the mash tun to make things easier, it seems like you're just kicking the problem up a level in your system. Should work, though.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

fakr

Now now Richard...don't give Senior the impression that he's made a bad decision....hehe!

Once Senior gets a 30GAL Mash, then sells his 20GAL HLT for a 30GAL, he'll be ready to sell his 30GAL kettle for a 55GAL!

I personally would have no problem using his old 30GAL kettle in combination with my 20GAL kettle to make A LOT OF BEER!!
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."