• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.
Main Menu

Broke Keezer

Started by Thomas, March 14, 2012, 10:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Well my keezer might be fucked. The compressor has been running constantly, making a funny humm, and the inside of the keezer is room temperature. Does anyone know how to fix a chest freezer motor? Theres beer in it for you if you do.

Jake

probably toast. Just bring the beer to Saturday's "meeting" and I'll help you dispose of it
President of the NBCBA

Richard

My keezer is older than me... occasionally it makes noises like a land-rover trying to climb a particularly steep and mossy english hill... I shut it down for an hour and turn it back on, and it behaves.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Chris Craig

It's borked!  You're best off looking for a new freezer to replace it.  Hopefully you didn't glue the wooden top to the lid!

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Jmac00

did you have it enclosed with wood? i can't remember exactly how you went about building it, i just remember it was really nice looking on the top...hahahaha...not sure about the bottom part though...if enclosed, they need some room to vent with the heat.

Kyle

He did a top, coffin-box for taps, and a bottom chasis with wheels. No wood around the sides. I'd measure the keezer and go get another of similar size if Richard's fix doesn't work.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Thomas

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCC . . . . Not sure what to do. Replacing the freezer isn't really an option since I dont have the time or money to buy a new one. Nor do I have the proper tools or patience to rebuild or refit the lid and bottom to a new freezer. And I dont think Im lucky enough to find a new chest freezer thats the exact same dimensions as this one.

Chris Craig

Quote from: "Thomas"FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCC . . . . Not sure what to do. Replacing the freezer isn't really an option since I dont have the time or money to buy a new one. Nor do I have the proper tools or patience to rebuild or refit the lid and bottom to a new freezer. And I dont think Im lucky enough to find a new chest freezer thats the exact same dimensions as this one.

Not sure if it's the same size, but the price is right: http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-appliances-freezers-freezer-to-give-away-old-but-still-in-good-working-condition-W0QQAdIdZ362207107

Richard

Aren't there mechanics that can fix freezers if they're not ye olde destroyers of the environment?
Charter Member

Chris Craig

Quote from: "Richard"Aren't there mechanics that can fix freezers if they're not ye olde destroyers of the environment?

Try Merrithew's Appliance Repair.  They're on the Hanwell.  I've used them recently.  They did right by me.

Jmac00

Quote from: "Thomas"FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCC . . . . Not sure what to do. Replacing the freezer isn't really an option since I dont have the time or money to buy a new one. Nor do I have the proper tools or patience to rebuild or refit the lid and bottom to a new freezer. And I dont think Im lucky enough to find a new chest freezer thats the exact same dimensions as this one.

i'm sure there's other's here with tools, i have tools as well but they're in storage, but could grab em if i know what ya needed. Measure the diameters of your freezer and i'm sure ppl here will keep an eye out for a freebie...they pop up all the time, just gotta be patient.

chrismccull

Richard

Good man Chris; Thomas: any of this look useful yet?
Charter Member

Thomas

ad is gone. i'v been looking pretty solidly on Kijiji for about two months, there are a few freezer the proper lenght, but there all much deeper then mine. I may have to go with a deeper freezer tho, since mine seems to be a uncommon size. With that in mind, the only remaining difficulty in finding a proper sized freezer seems to be the amazingly incompetent replies from the people posting the ads:

Thomas: Can you tell me what the exact outside dimensions are of the freezer?

Guy: its 21 cubic feet