• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Anybody looking for a job?

Started by Chris Craig, February 14, 2012, 02:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fakr

Nice!  That would be a great part time job as a "learning experience".
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Kyle

duty #3 is quality control of finished product...
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

JohnE

I'm so applying for this, time to get off my lazy arse.

Richard

Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Richard

Charter Member

pliny

Yes, the person doing this will learn alot. It's hard labor. 90% cleaning and 10% brewing.

fakr

I'd be very interested to even know a big brewery's cleaning procedures, chemicals used, etc.  All very valuable info.  

As a brewer's assistant, I'm assuming you would be privy to some interesting techniques, quantities of grain, hops, etc....and of course tasting the brew throughout the entire process...very very valuable info.

I would seriously consider applying if I lived in Fredericton and was only working part time.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

JohnE

When Picaroons was hiring last summer, I was talking with Sean Dunbar about it and he found a lot of people either had a romantic view about working at a brewery or they had a lot technical knowledge and didn't work out.

Richard

Quote from: "JohnE"had a lot technical knowledge and didn't work out.

Yeah I figure the 90/10 split pliny was talking about will mess up most people...

... though seriously, how many of us have done an all-grain brew-day and not realised that most of the actual effort is cleaning stuff :P
Charter Member

Kyle

I considered applying, and I could list manual labour / making boxes as experience, as well as an obvious interest in beer... however, I figured I better just finish my da*m thesis. John: good luck.
Charter Member

JohnE

Kyle, this far along you should at least finish your thesis.  :)

pliny

You could just drop your thesis and start crawling inside dirty tanks and scrub like a mofo hours at a time almost everyday.

Thomas

iI remember when we went on the brewery tour, they had just bought the automatic bottling machine. They told us before they bough it they had a 100% turnover of people hired to do the bottling. New employees would show up, bottle a few batches by hand and quit cause it sucked so much.

Kyle

I can't imagine doing that all day
Charter Member