• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Christmas Beer

Started by Jake, November 06, 2011, 10:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

I want to brew a couple batches for myself and the family for over the christmas holidays. Any seasonal suggestions?
President of the NBCBA

Richard

Spices - just go easy, any more than half a teaspoon of the usual suspects will own a beer.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Dave Savoie

6.5 lbs American Pale Malt

1 lb White Wheat

1 lb Vienna

8 oz Belgian Special B

¼ oz Black Malt           (mash temp ~150°)

1 oz mild hop like Hallertau, Tettnanger, Styrian Golding, Mt. Hood, Willamette, Kent, etc. anywhere from 4% to 5% for 60 minutes... I used Hallertau 4.3%

1 tbsp ground cinnamon added to the brewpot and allowed to steep for 15 minutes with the lid on and the heat off

Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale yeast

1 tsp ground cinnamon added to 2 oz premium vanilla extract 1 day before moving the beer to secondary... add mixture to sanitized secondary and rack the beer on top

OG: 1.050, FG: 1.012, IBU: 19, SRM: 16, ABV: 4.8%
Charter Member

Hawoh

As usual, I'd recommend listening to Jamil's podcast on the style - http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Winter-Spiced-Beer-The-Jamil-Show-09-24-07

If using older dry spices, you might want to increase the amounts.

Hawoh

Having just the 4th sample of my 2011 Christmas beer now, brewed back in August...   So far, it seems like it seems a little too sweet, but it was happy to pose for a nice picture in front of the tree.

Link to the broken image...

Richard

What's up with the image? webs.com not allow cross-domain linking or something?

edit: you need to link to the .jpg rather than the containing web-site. Fixed...
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Hawoh

Quote from: "Richard"What's up with the image? webs.com not allow cross-domain linking or something?

edit: you need to link to the .jpg rather than the containing web-site. Fixed...

ah... makes sense, couldn't be bothered to nerd this one up much. Tech wrangling is for 9-5...