• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.
Main Menu

Chiller?

Started by sdixon, October 19, 2011, 10:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdixon

Has anyone in the club upgraded from an immersion chiller that they would be prepared to separate with for a modest sum?
"Good people drink good beer"
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]

Kyle

I think the guys that updated their chillers made counterflow ones, repurposing the original immersion ones.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Richard

Yup, that's what I did - although all you're really getting from the immersion chiller is a bunch of copper tubing you can re-use.

I'd suggest going straight for the CFC, but that's my opinion... someone may have some suitable defense of the immersion ones, but I sure as hell don't have one.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

sdixon

Cost may be one?

BTW... do you need a pump for CFC?
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]

Dean

you can make a counterflow chiller cheaper than you can buy an immersion chiller. And no pump required, it's gravity fed as long as your carboy is lower than your brewpot.

sdixon

So I plan to take your collective advice and go directly to a CFC. Two questions:

1. Is 25' long enough?
2. If so... does anyone want to split a 50' role with me? I can get it from Eddy Group for $1.42 / ft.
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]

Richard

Aye that's long enough - that's slightly longer than mine (which was 25' as an immersion chiller, and had some stuff trimmed off).
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

brew

My CFC was with 20' of 3/8 tubing, but I already had the tubing. Used a $15 el cheapo garden hose from home depot, two 1/2" T's and a couple of 3/8" to 1/2" reducers, plus a 1/2" copper union to connect it to hose from the kettle.

20' is plenty. Gravity fed (15+ minutes for a 5 gallon batch). JohnQ has a good thread in the equipment forum...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

sdixon

Is anyone interested in 25' of copper tube at $1.42/ft? I'm buying 50' but only need 25'.
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]

JohnQ

Quote from: "sdixon"Is anyone interested in 25' of copper tube at $1.42/ft? I'm buying 50' but only need 25'.

HD sells 20' Rolls.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

sdixon

Yeah, I may go to HD...
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]