• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

NEW Brew Kettle! Guess on the size?

Started by fakr, September 01, 2011, 11:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fakr

So I lucked out on a real nice SS brew kettle off kijiji.  I got it for less than the sale price and I'm very happy about it.  With a couple of weldless fittings, ball valve and spotting glass, I'll be all set.

Any idea the size of this kettle?  can anyone guess?  I put a standard pepsi keg beside it for a comparison...I'm thinking 15.5GAL?
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

brew

Nice find - yes I'd guess 15.5 G - but should measure it out to see (mark it off 1 or 2 G at a time maybe - I've used a stick before and put marks on it...

Best thing though is to get one of JohnQ's sight glasses - they are cool and help take a lot of the guess work / effort out of it for the up front investment of time... not sure if he has any left - PM him if you want to go that route...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

fakr

Thanks Brew.  I'll hit John up for a sight glass if he still has any left.

by the way, just measured the inside of the keg.  20 inches deep, 18 inches wide...so if my volume calcs are correct...I have a 22 us gal kettle!

brew

Holy mama - 5087 cubic inches - 22 gallons - awesome! The should be enough beer for allllll of us now!!!  :banana:
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

fakr

lol!  yeah, I really lucked out with this one.  I can't believe I got it for so cheap, and it's in perfect condition too.

By the way, John mentioned that you got a sight glass from him. did you install it yet? if so how is it working out for you?

brew

Haven't put it in my keg yet - workin on it though...
NBCBA Treasurer