• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

In line Regulator

Started by JohnQ, July 26, 2011, 08:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnQ

Anybody know of a reason why I can't use one of these in conjunction with my main regulator to control the CO2 pressure to each keg individually by mounting them in each line that goes to a keg?

Here is the description from the Catalog...

Designed for installation directly to your air-powered tool. Connections are NPT female inlet and NPT male outlet.

Lever Controlled—Turn the handle and go from full-line pressure to almost complete shutoff. A gauge on top indicates air pressure at all times. Regulators are nonrelieving style; they have no vent ports so they prevent release of downstream pressure. Accuracy is ±3% for the first third of the range, ±5% for the second third, and ±8% for the last third. Body is brass.
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Dean

the only things I would ask are:

1) what is your bottle pressure (CO2 cylinder)
2) what is this "regulator" rated at (not how far does the needle go)
3) it has no vent, so how will you relieve the pressure to disconnect everything?

oh ...and 3 - 8% error = definitely Chinese!

JohnQ

1) It's going to be downstream from my primary regulator, which I'll set at 40 psi, so it'll never be in direct line with the bottle, always through the
2) Specs say it's good to 150 psi.
3) Turn everything to 0 and vent a keg, I think.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout

Richard

Quote from: "Dean"not how far does the needle go

:lol:
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

JohnQ

Oh come on...my smart speedo goes to 160
Charter Member

Visiting Taps:

Dean

if it has no vent it'll hold pressure but it's downstream of the real reg so it'll be minimal. If it had a vent screw you wouldn't have to vent the keg, just vent the reg and good to go.

looks like it'd work John ...worth a try anyway. This is similar to what we were talking about on Saturday when I asked why you don't just fit a gauge to each keg and be done with it. This would be better if it works because you can control pressure instead of just reading it

Dean

Quote from: "JohnQ"Oh come on...my smart speedo goes to 160

hahahahah ...EXACTLY my point!

JohnQ

Quote from: "Dean"if it has no vent it'll hold pressure but it's downstream of the real reg so it'll be minimal. If it had a vent screw you wouldn't have to vent the keg, just vent the reg and good to go.

looks like it'd work John ...worth a try anyway. This is similar to what we were talking about on Saturday when I asked why you don't just fit a gauge to each keg and be done with it. This would be better if it works because you can control pressure instead of just reading it

Yeah, this is specifically for the Brew under pressure plan allowing me to apply pressure from the bottle at the start, then as fermentation starts, it'll be switched to a spunding valve to release the pressure created by the yeasties.
I can also use it to force carb the quicker recipes (like the summer ale) without affecting all my kegs that are serving.  I've also found that when I have 4 on tap that the serving pressure is not optimal on all 4 at the same time, so I can tweak ones I want, and the PR prefers a higher serving pressure too, so many uses.

JQ
Charter Member

Visiting Taps:

Dean

you need to just build a manifold and put one of those inline regs at each outlet on the manifold. Providing you still use a quality regulator so you don't have tank high pressure at your manifold it'd be easy and inexpensive to build.

JohnQ

That was my original plan, but these baby's are only $25 each, and since I'm rebuilding my whole system with disconnects everywhere, I figure I'll just build a few hoses with these in them so they could be included anywhere in the system.  It'll probably end up as a hybrid system with a manifold and some of these.  The little fixed Regs that I've found are just about as expensive.
JQ
Charter Member

Visiting Taps: