• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Nutty flavour

Started by shazapple, July 20, 2016, 10:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shazapple

9 lb   Maris Otter    
1 lb   Honey Malt
1 lb   Melanoidin
Wyeast 1056
0.5 oz Amarillo   Boil - 60 min
1 oz Amarillo   Boil - 5 min
2.5 oz Amarillo    Dry Hop - 7 days

I made the above recipe and it came out with what I would describe as a dank and nutty flavour on the first half of the keg. Some described it as perfumy when tasting the latter half of the keg. I had attributed it to the amarillo but maybe it's the honey malt? I never experienced the flowery-citrus of the Amarillo but maybe that is the dank/perfumy flavour? After this I'm not really inclined to try the amarillo again but maybe this was not the right recipe...
Lee

Roger

Well Amarillo is one of my favorite hops but I've never had it taste perfumy before. It might be the honey malt not blending with an all Amarillo hops or a shitty batch of Amarillo... I have no experience with honey malt though so it migh be a common thing with it in that amount...

robcoombs

Same here. I've gotten some dank qualities from amarillo before but I always felt that was a poor batch. I've never experienced nut from amarillo or any other hop for that matter. I've used honey malt sparingly and it does have a unique character but I wouldn't say nutty. Only way to know is to sub it out for something else.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

feldmann

As the others have stated, I could see the dank coming from the Amarilo but the perfume, and nutty I can't really figure out. I personally don't think its the honey malt. Do you remember how old the yeast was and did you make a starter?