• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Carbonation in "flat" beer

Started by Chris Craig, November 01, 2013, 11:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Craig

I knew there was some CO2 left in uncarbonated beer from the fermentation process, but I didn't realize it was so much.

Quote from: BYOCO2 in Flat Beer. Depending upon the temperature of your beer and how much it has been shaken around, you'll have varying amounts of CO2 in your "flat" beer. The more you start with, the less you need to add with the bottle fermentation. Bottlers often overlook the fact that there is quite a bit of CO2 in solution in so-called "flat" beer after fermentation. If you fermented at 60° F, you already have one volume of CO2 in your beer. If you lagered near 32° F, you could have as much as 1.7 volumes of CO2 — that's two-thirds of the final amount of CO2 you're after! This dissolved CO2 is one reason airlocks might continue to bubble after the fermentation is done.

http://byo.com/stories/item/1132-master-the-action-carbonation

Considering the recommended amount of CO2 for an Ordinary Bitter is ~ 1 volume, no force carbonation would be required after kegging.  Hmmm.

Jake

Hmm interesting. I bottled 5 for my each of my competition entries. I  fermented up around 70ish (lack of temp control) and added a quarter tsp of sugar. Has been bottled now for about 2 weeks and was planning on cracking one tonight to see how the carbonation turned out
President of the NBCBA

DandyMason

That really gives you a good idea how low carbonation 1 volume is... surprising.

I kegged my entries last night and have them on serving pressure... I think ill leave it for a few days and then bottle from there.