• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Ugh! Burned my starter!

Started by Chris Craig, July 24, 2013, 10:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Craig

I was heating up some water/DME on the stove a little while ago in my Erlenmeyer flask.  Apparently, I didn't mix the DME in well because I scorched the bottom of the flask pretty good.  Now there's a black ring at the bottom.

Anybody know the best way of removing this, or did I just ruin the flask?

Roger

If it won't dissolve in boiling water try letting it soak in dishwasher detergent or you might want to try oven cleaner careful with that stuff though it's quite nasty I think the main ingredient is lie. Good luck!

jamie_savoie

overnight soak in a strong oxyclean solution maybe?

Chris Craig

I soaked it on oxy over night. Most of it came off. I rinsed and added more oxy. Hopefully it'll be fine tomorrow.

JohnQ

When something burns on to our Stainless Cookware, Deb puts dishsoap, water in there, and puts it on a low heat which apparently aids in the breakdown. If it doesn't come off with this oxy soak, try a little heat with it...but watch it this time :-\
JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Richard

Anything burnt => Oven cleaner.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

pliny

Just give it to your wife to clean it.   :D

Chris Craig

After a couple of rounds of oxy, there's just a little bit of scarring on the bottom.  No worse for wear.