• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Noble Grape smack packs

Started by Thomas, December 03, 2012, 11:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

So this weekend I grabbed a 1084 smack pack from NG for an irish stout. When they gave it to me it was extremely cold, but I didn't worry too much. I let it warm up to room temp for a few hours then popped the nutrient and allowed it to expand for 4-5 hours more. It never showed signs of inflating, but I pitched it anyway as some strains dont always show extreme activity. Now here I am three days later with no signs of fermentation in my carboy. This is the third time I have either gotten a dead, or already inflated smack pack from NG. Before I contact them, I was wondering if anyone else has had similar troubles with NG smack packs.

Kyle

The 1214 I bought (I think from NG) did not expand very much at all over 2 days at room temp. Apparently that can be normal. I recall pitching and hoping for the best. It worked fine.

No signs of fermentation after 72 hours is not good though.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Chris Craig

I've ordered a few from them and had no issues.

Richard

TBH sounds like their refrigerator is going sub-zero.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Ian Grant

I use wyeast smack packs every time and most don't inflate only the 1056 does.   I've had no issues at all.

Thomas

Quote from: "Richard"TBH sounds like their refrigerator is going sub-zero.

This is what Im thinking, I'm pretty sure they are accedently freezing their smack pack for a short period of time and not noticing it. I really wana wait and let the 1084 kick in so that it can be harvested and added to the collection. But I think its time to throw in a pack of s-04 just to be safe.

DandyMason

Ive ordered a lot of smack packs from them.. The last two I used did not inflate and same exact thing... 2-3 days later no fermentation so I pitched SO5. These two smack packs had been sitting in my fridge for a couple months though and were packaged in July or somthing... I was using them in November... I didnt think they were too old but maybe the age was an issue with mine

chrismccull

I wonder if White Labs yeast would be better?  I don't think you need to activate it.

Chris Craig

Wyeast smack packs don't need to be activated.  The nutrient/energizer is just there to start the yeast off.  It'd work without smacking, but the lag would be a bit longer.

pliny

It is strongly recommended to make a starter for both White Labs and Wyeast.
The smack pack/vile only contains a portion of number of cells needed in a 5 gallon batch.
Size of starter depends on your planned OG.
Even if you had a 1.040 beer, it is still recommended to build up some more (and healthy) cells.
The date on the smack pack can also play a role in the size of starter.

fakr

I had some bad experiences with wyeast smack packs.  I pitched 2 unswollen packs of wyeast ringwood in some bitter one time and it didn't move at all...day 5 pitched s-05...the beer wasn't the best tasting after that big of a fermentation lag.

I don't blame it on wyeast, more the source of the purchase.  I'm assuming the 2 packs froze and thawed out during shipping. it was sometime in november last year.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

jamie_savoie

I had a 14 months old smackpack that still took off with a 3 step-up starter

Richard

Yeah the only way to really kill those things off is to freeze them. It might just be a refrigerator set too close to zero.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.