• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Some suggestions on building a brew stand

Started by Kyle, February 16, 2012, 09:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle

From the sounds of it, there are several people in the process of switching from a 5gal setup to something bigger. As I've been building my brewstand, I've come to some realizations, and please respond adding to them:

- no matter how well planned out, you will want to change it around a few times to get it down pat, so build it out of something (like wood) that you can easily and cheaply work with, at least as a "rough draft"

- don't worry too much about making it look like fine art until the kinks are worked out from a utilitarian perspective

- consider a modular structure so it can easily be put away when not in use

- to get the most bang for your buck in terms of ease of use, seriously consider a two tier system with 1 pump

- having hooks for hoses, towels, and other misc equipment mounted on the structure so you don't have to spend alot of time setting up is worthwile too.

- if cost saving is a key issue, try to make use of existing hardware, like the fumehood over your stove

- If you use insulated vessels like coolers for MLT and HLT, you don't need to constantly recirculate (ie: HERMS or RIMS, while very cool, are not needed for great beer )
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

brew

I am migrating to a 2 keggle method, plus xtreme cooler for MLT. I also am struggling with the best method for a stand in my garage for my propane burner (until I can afford the time to put in some electric elements). I'll be interested in what folks come up with. I want to make 9G batches (about right for two kegs to spund with). I'm finding that I can pretty much lift 8 or 9G of water onto the stand I currently use to support the pot and run through my CFC. On the mash strike water side of things though, I'm struggling with the concept of replacing the "dump and pour" method with a pump, as I can't get over the thought that the pump will take long enough that guessing my strike temp will be way off to hit my mash temp consistently... especially given the temp in the garage fluctuates with the weather... I must be wrong about this...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Richard

I think Kyle's point was that if you're using a cooler for the mash-tun, you still use batch infusion mashing.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Kyle

Brew, with a two tier, stand, you could place the top of the mash tun right below the drain level of the BK, and then just far away to avoid scorching. I'd also insulate the pipe transfering hot water to the MLT from the BK in your case.

In mine, I am going all electric, and placing the thermocouple in my mash tun, so even though the sole heating element will be in the BK, the mash temp will be fine tuned with recirculating as needed at the start (and then not during the mash since it is insulated). But I will be brewing indoors, so temperature is far less variable.
Charter Member

brew

Quote from: "Kyle"In mine, I am going all electric, and placing the thermocouple in my mash tun, so even though the sole heating element will be in the BK, the mash temp will be fine tuned with recirculating as needed at the start (and then not during the mash since it is insulated). But I will be brewing indoors, so temperature is far less variable.

So Kyle - you are putting a thermocouple in your cooler? (MLT?) and you'll recirculate the mash water until it is up to temp?
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Kyle

thats the plan, and then since I have a pump and a two tier setup, I will sometimes do decoction mashing.
Charter Member

fakr

Great topic.

I'm in the process of drafting up a brew stand of my own, with a couple of points in mind.

1.  The stand needs to accommodate various size tanks (smaller and bigger than my current tank sizes)
2.  None of the tanks can be taller tan my chest.
3.  The brew stand needs to be modular, able to fold up off the ground and put up against a wall.

I brew in my garage, where floor space is at a premium so it can't be stationary.
I'm sure this wont' be my last brew stand so I have to look at how I brew today, and how it can be improved so I don't have to lift or move any vessel during the brewing process, like I do today.

So for me, I've decided to make a 2 tier triangle. 2 in the front, and one in the back.  The two in the front is on the bottom tier, containing HLT on the left, and BK on the right.  Both with propane burners, but will convert to electric eventually.  The top tier is in the back, centered, containing the MT.  I'm going to mount 1 pump in the center, below the MT.  The pump will be used pump water from the HLT to the MT, and from the BK through the CFC into fermentation vessels.  Gravity will feed wort from the MT to the BK.

So the whole setup is small enough to walk around in the middle of the garage, modular as the top back tier is separate, and can be either stacked one on top of the other, or both put on their sides and leaned up agains a wall.

Works for me for now with my brew setup....and I'm sure regardless of what setup a person chooses, there will always be little tweaks you wish you had done.   I'm trying to keep the first one simple.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."