• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Cask ale

Started by Ian Grant, January 31, 2012, 04:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnQ

Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Chris Craig

Good beer.  Nice to see you all out.  We'll have to do that more often.

Ian Grant

Ya I had a great time  and it ended up being productive.

Jake

Wish I coulda been there. What was the beer like? Never had a cask ale.
President of the NBCBA

Richard

:lol:

yeah good times had by all, although next time I'll stroll by at 5 rather than 4 - I didn't exactly return to productive work when I got home :P
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Ian Grant

I had 3 glasses and thought it was real good.  Much better than the original.  :chug:

Jake

So the casks ... are they like oak casks or what? Dont know a whole lot about this obviously ...
President of the NBCBA

Ian Grant

Nope just a keg but they add the sugar to the keg to carb it.  Pretty much the same as bottling homebrew.

Chris Craig

The carbonation is usually fairly low too.  The idea is that each pub could have the same beer, but since they pump air from the room into the cask to draw beer, each pub's cask as a slightly different flavour.

Richard

For the record, when I pulled over my Darkest Hour into a keg after the meeting on Sunday, it had the same sulphurous note on the nose that I found in the Yippee cask ale. It's gone after a couple of days of (forced) carbonation. Kyle confirmed the DMS, so I'm not nuts :P
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.