• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Whirlpool Port

Started by Two Wheeler, March 23, 2017, 02:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Wheeler

I'm making some changes to my brew system and need some advice. I'm looking to add a whirlpool port to my kettle. I have purchased a weldless bulkhead, ball valve and 90 degree elbow to install on my kettle.

I'm also making an immersion chiller, getting away from the plate chiller. I want to continue to use my pump to whirlpool and speed up the chilling.

I plan on using the greenlee punch form the club toolbox to make the hole.. any tips?

The main concern I have is height. I primarily brew 10 gal, but want to be able to brew 5 gal too. I'm planning to make the hole around the 4.5 gallon volume. Is that going to be too low for a 10 gal batch? I can't see it really making a difference, but I wanted to check.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Roger

I've often thought about punching another hole in my kettle for my whirlpool but never ended up doing it. Instead I have a peice of copper tubing bent into kind of an "S" shape attached to my chiller with some copper wire. This way I can raise or lower it to whatever position I want just by loosening a pice of copper wire. Also I put a quick disconnect on the top for the pump.
But if your dead set on installing another port I'd go with the lower position just so you have the option.
I think your gonna be happy with the imersion chiller with whirlpool. I get 12 gallons down to pitch temperatures in 15min. If you want to see a picture do a search in the forum under "ribcage immersion chiller".
Also when you use the punch make sure there isn't the piece that got previously punched out. Last time I used it there was a few stuck inside the punch. They're a little difficult to remove but if you leave them inside they make a mess of the threads.
:cheers:

Two Wheeler

Thanks Roger... I think I'm going to take the plunge and punch the hole, and will go for the lower volume.

Built the chiller tonight. Home Depot had 50' of 1/2" OD copper for $59. This thing cost less than $90 after tax.

I didn't have any issues bending the sweeping 90 degree turns, but when wrapping around the keg I somehow kinked the tube a bit. During the easy part!!!  :facepalm:

How big a deal is this, and is there any way to fix it? Or am I likely to mess it up worse?
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Roger

That's a bummer...
I don't know how you'd fix that without cutting out the kink and splicing a piece in like a coupler or something.
Has it affected the flow rate any?

Two Wheeler

I'm missing a fitting before I can test. The pic looks bad, but I don't think it's going to be too restrictive. If it's flowing Fine I'm not going to mess with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Roger

Yea good plan! If it ain't broke don't fix it...

pliny

I bought this kettle: https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=15gal-mashking-mashtun-kettle
Sure it's 15Gallons but same principle. The port is high.
How are you planning on setting up both sides? (Inside/outside)
Will you have a Ball Valve on the outside?

Two Wheeler

Hey Marc,

I'm using a 15 gallon pot too, but since I do BIAB, I need all of that volume when mashing. I would have to put a ball valve on for higher or lower installations.

I ordered these two items for $24. The ball valve kit was on sale.

Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

robcoombs

Quote from: Two Wheeler on March 23, 2017, 11:31:06 PM
I'm missing a fitting before I can test. The pic looks bad, but I don't think it's going to be too restrictive. If it's flowing Fine I'm not going to mess with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a very slight kink like yours but mine is in the 90 bend area. I have no issues with flow whatsoever. I'm sure it's fine.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Two Wheeler

The kink didn't seem to slow me down at all... 11 gallons down to 64 degrees in 13:45. It got to 140 in in under 5 mins. This is at least as fast as the small plate chiller I have, possibly quicker... a lot less hassle too!

I was using a copper whirlpool arm (http://nbcba.org/forum/equipment/whirlpool-recirculation-arm/msg35315/#msg35315) to recirculate the wort. James helped me make this when I first started using the plate chiller. The whirlpool arm worked pretty good, but I'm still going to put in the port I think.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

robcoombs

Quote from: Two Wheeler on March 24, 2017, 06:32:20 PM
The kink didn't seem to slow me down at all... 11 gallons down to 64 degrees in 13:45. It got to 140 in in under 5 mins. This is at least as fast as the small plate chiller I have, possibly quicker... a lot less hassle too!

I was using a copper whirlpool arm (http://nbcba.org/forum/equipment/whirlpool-recirculation-arm/msg35315/#msg35315) to recirculate the wort. James helped me make this when I first started using the plate chiller. The whirlpool arm worked pretty good, but I'm still going to put in the port I think.
Great to hear. I do love the simplicity of an immersion chiller.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk