• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Hop shot substitute

Started by Cuba, March 07, 2017, 09:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuba

Hello everyone,

Being the start of beer week I decided to end my brewing hiatus (I have a week off school too :) ). Going to brew an IPA and use up some hops that have been open for a year.

Anyways the recipe calls for 8 mL of Hop shot which I can't/don't want to purchase. Hop shot is suppose to adds 10 IBUs/mL so the total for the recipe is 80 IBUs.

So I'm going to replace the hop shot with 80 IBUs of columbus hops and I want someone to check my math before I ruin a batch of beer:

AAU = AA% * weight in oz
IBU = AAU * alpha utilization * 75

80 IBU = AAU * 0.21 * 75
AAU = 80 IBU / (0.21 * 75)
AAU = 5.079

5.079 = 10.9 * weight
Weight = 5.079 / 10.9
Weight = 0.465 oz = 13.2 g

Other info:
The recipe calls for hop shot to be added at 60 min.
OG = 1.060

I'm asking mostly because I've never tried to calculate IBUs before, I'm quite good at math. But it does seem  be that 13.2 g of hops is not much for  80 IBU.

robcoombs

Quote from: Cuba on March 07, 2017, 09:18:39 AM
Hello everyone,

Being the start of beer week I decided to end my brewing hiatus (I have a week off school too :) ). Going to brew an IPA and use up some hops that have been open for a year.

Anyways the recipe calls for 8 mL of Hop shot which I can't/don't want to purchase. Hop shot is suppose to adds 10 IBUs/mL so the total for the recipe is 80 IBUs.

So I'm going to replace the hop shot with 80 IBUs of columbus hops and I want someone to check my math before I ruin a batch of beer:

AAU = AA% * weight in oz
IBU = AAU * alpha utilization * 75

80 IBU = AAU * 0.21 * 75
AAU = 80 IBU / (0.21 * 75)
AAU = 5.079

5.079 = 10.9 * weight
Weight = 5.079 / 10.9
Weight = 0.465 oz = 13.2 g

Other info:
The recipe calls for hop shot to be added at 60 min.
OG = 1.060

I'm asking mostly because I've never tried to calculate IBUs before, I'm quite good at math. But it does seem  be that 13.2 g of hops is not much for  80 IBU.
Just to clarify, the recipe is 80ibus total and all of it is from the 60min hop shot addition?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Cuba

I think so... the recipe calls for 8 mL of hop shot at the beginning of a 60 min boil. The rest of the hops are added at flame out and dry hop.

blisster

What was the Columbus starting AA?
Also, how old are the hops and how were they stored (container type/temperature)?

I would just aim for 80IBU using a hop age calculator (in BeerSmith or like this one: http://brewerslog.appspot.com/HopAlphaCalc) and not worry about trying converting hop shots.  :cheers:

It's a calculated guess but with these details we can determine approximately how much you would need to add at 60 minutes to achieve the desired 80 IBU. 

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

robcoombs

Quote from: blisster on March 07, 2017, 01:16:16 PM

What was the Columbus starting AA?
Also, how old are the hops and how were they stored (container type/temperature)?

I would just aim for 80IBU using a hop age calculator (in BeerSmith or like this one: http://brewerslog.appspot.com/HopAlphaCalc) and not worry about trying converting hop shots.  :cheers:

It's a calculated guess but with these details we can determine approximately how much you would need to add at 60 minutes to achieve the desired 80 IBU.
Exactly what I was going to write. Beersmith is very helpful for this.

Cuba

Columbus hops were 10.9% originally, bought last year so I believe they were 2015 harvest from Southan farms.

Stored in a fridge in the original vacuum seal pack but closed with one of those chip clip things.

I always forget about beersmith, I deleted it off my phone when I had to get rid of some apps. I'll download it again, much easier than trying to do the calculations by hand.

Cuba

Has anyone gotten their hands on hop shot yet? Sounds interesting, it seems like they use a similar (maybe identical) process to that of cannabinoid extraction of medical marijuana with CO2.

This interests me because I am hoping to get a job in  medical marijuana industry after I'm out of school. There is another extraction process that is somewhat new that uses only hydraulic pressure and heat.

I plan on building one  these heat presses; I wonder if I could also use it to  make my own "hop shot"?

Roger

Quote from: Cuba on March 08, 2017, 09:59:26 AM
Has anyone gotten their hands on hop shot yet? Sounds interesting, it seems like they use a similar (maybe identical) process to that of cannabinoid extraction of medical marijuana with CO2.

This interests me because I am hoping to get a job in  medical marijuana industry after I'm out of school. There is another extraction process that is somewhat new that uses only hydraulic pressure and heat.

I plan on building one  these heat presses; I wonder if I could also use it to  make my own "hop shot"?
That sounds like an interesting experiment! Keep us posted...

robcoombs

Quote from: Cuba on March 08, 2017, 09:53:49 AM
Columbus hops were 10.9% originally, bought last year so I believe they were 2015 harvest from Southan farms.

Stored in a fridge in the original vacuum seal pack but closed with one of those chip clip things.

I always forget about beersmith, I deleted it off my phone when I had to get rid of some apps. I'll download it again, much easier than trying to do the calculations by hand.
I would recommend keeping your hops in the freezer at the very least. A vacuum sealer would be ideal.

Cuba

Quote from: robcoombs on March 08, 2017, 02:48:33 PM
Quote from: Cuba on March 08, 2017, 09:53:49 AM

I would recommend keeping your hops in the freezer at the very least. A vacuum sealer would be ideal.

Good to know. I have some freezer space... But I did get a vacuum sealer for Christmas, I'll be re sealing my hop bags from here on out.