• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Sap running?

Started by Brian_S, March 13, 2014, 05:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_S

So, its about that time of year I thought I'd check to see if there are any Maple syrup makers in the group. 

It seems the most efficient way to decide when the sap starts running is to ask around......so any got any taps in?  Is the sap running yet?

B
<No context>Dark and Dirty</No Context>

Chris Craig

lmo506 is our contact for syrup.  He brought a few gallons with him to the last AGM.  Delicious stuff.

I heard on CBC this morning that the sap isn't running well because the temperature keeps going down too much. 

Roger

My taps haven't started yet.

Brian_S

Sweet, thanks for the info as it saves me a trip into the back 40.

B
<No context>Dark and Dirty</No Context>

JamesC

We're planning on tapping a couple trees as well, and our go to guy says it'll likely be two weeks or so befirenhe taps his this year

ECH

While the trees have started producing sap about this time in past years, this year seems to be more like a "normal" NB winter (unlike the last 5-10yrs).

So I would think that the sap is going to be late March, early April. And judging by the temp outlook over the next little while, cold nights and warmish days, it should be a bumper crop!

lmo506

Mother Nature is going to get off the pot  this Friday 28. Looks like it will be fast and furious. No more brewing for me for a while :( Good thing i got 50 or 60 gallons good to go :drink:
I have never pretended to be something I'm not, except sober, I have pretended to be sober a few times.

Chris Craig

That syrup you gave us last April was delicious!

Dave Savoie

Have you tried making wine from the syrup similar to mead ?
Charter Member