• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.
Main Menu

Club Tools

Started by chrismccull, July 01, 2013, 04:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which items do you think that the club should purchase for the tool kit?

Greenlee Step Bit (36414) ($55)
1 (12.5%)
Greenlee Step Bit Kit (35884) ($112)
1 (12.5%)
Greenlee Punch 1 1/4" (20673) ($67)
7 (87.5%)
Greenlee Punch 13/16" (20668) ($39.75)
3 (37.5%)
Greenlee Punch 9/16" (02433) ($38.50)
3 (37.5%)
Greenlee Punch 1/2" (7/8"hole) (22563) ($35.50)
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

chrismccull

Beyond the punches/step bits, I suspect that we will need a tool box as well.  If you would like me to add any options to this poll, let me know.

Chris Craig

I have a 1/8" - 7"8" step bit that I doubt I'll need again.  I'd be willing to sell that to the club at a good price rather than buying a kit for $112.  Just wanted to put that out there.

chrismccull

Only 3 people have voted, I assume that there isn't much interest in punches or a step bit?

Chris Craig

Kind of seems that way.

fakr

Punches are a great idea but step bits are brutal with stainless. 
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

chrismccull

What does everyone think that we should buy if punches are out?

Roger

The right size punches would have been great but I already dilled, punched, ground and filed all the holes I needed. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But punches would have saved quite a bit of time though.

fakr

how about a good electronic soldering\heat station?  a good one goes for roughly $50 on ebay.  Great for all those electric brewery builds!

I'd also suggest a standard grain mill if there is the budget for it.  Not sure if you'd consider that a tool that would fit in a tool box, but would be great for the brewer on a budget who can't afford one.

Chris Craig

We've had the discussion about a grain mill before a couple of times.  Those are so common that it would be easy to hook up with another member for a few minutes to crush some grain.  There'd be no need to purchase one.

fakr

True that Chris.  How about a barbeque then?  :lmao:

JohnQ

I'm a little surprised so few people voted for the punches...
It may be that the stage that most of the members is either, already done that, or don't realize they're going to have to do that.
We may need to discuss that further.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

fakr

yeah, punches are pretty much necessary.  Step bits are very labor intensive and expensive to go through.  I ruined 2 making 3-4 holes.  Once they heat up the SS, goodbye bit.  You'd need proper cutting oil and idealy a drill press.
Punches are so nice and simple and make the perfect hole.

chrismccull

Yeah, I'd like to see us get some, I'm sure that we would use them.