• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Huge starter

Started by Chris Craig, December 11, 2012, 11:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Craig

So, Colin and I along with my brother-in-law are planning a brew day in January where we're going to brew 33 gallons of Pilsner.  This seemed like a fun idea until I did the math and realized that we're going to need almost 40 litres of starter if we start with 4 smack packs!!

So, we're going to have to brew a 10 gallon batch of 1.030 - 1.040 beer in order to make 33 gallons of Pilsner at 1.048.   :frazzled:

Jake

Can your stir plate balance a sankey keg?  :lol:
President of the NBCBA

jeffsmith

Chris Craig

Yeah, I saw that a couple of months ago and though it was a terrible idea.  Who would need a stir plate for a whole batch of beer?  Now I know.

Richard

Hahaha... nice. That's a lot of lawnmower beer right there.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

jeffsmith

Quote from: "ChrisCraig"Yeah, I saw that a couple of months ago and though it was a terrible idea.  Who would need a stir plate for a whole batch of beer?  Now I know.

I'm sure you could DIY one similar to a normal sized stir plate. The principle would be the same, you'd just need a sturdy base to hold the carboy. A 120mm computer fan would likely be strong enough to spin two ½" to ¾" rare earth magnets and a 2" stir bar.

pliny

Or you could just have about 1litre of healthy slurry.

Chris Craig

Quote from: "pliny"Or you could just have about 1litre of healthy slurry.

Yeah, well, since I don't have a slurry of lager yeast, I'll have to make one by doing a hugh-ass starter :P