• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Winter Warmer

Started by brew, September 25, 2012, 02:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brew

So who has a recipe for a Winter Warmer that they really like?

I know Kyle's from last year was good...

Jake - did yours turn out OK?
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

pliny

This is something I found on BYO. Made it last year in time for the holidays:

Harpoon Winter Warmer clone
5 gallons/19 L. all-grain; OG = 1.056; FG = 1.014; IBU = 23; SRM = 23; ABV = 5.4%

9.33 lbs. (4.2 kg) 2-row pale malt
2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) crystal malt (90 °L)
0.50 lb. (0.23 kg) CaraPils malt (15 °L)
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
6.25 AAU Clusters hops (60 mins)(1.25 oz./35 g of 5% alpha acids)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) or White Labs WLP002 (English Ale) yeast

Mash at 154 °F (68 °C). Boil wort for 90 minutes adding hops and Irish moss at the time indicated. Ferment at 70 °F (21 °C).  
**Add cinnamon and nutmeg in secondary.

brew

Looks nice - I may try something similar with a bit higher OG and Challenger hops for some extra spice... How do you think it would work with 1084?
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

pliny

Yeah, mine came out OG 1.063 with a 5.9ABV. So yeah jack it up.

I think the 1084 would be just fine. Although these Christmas ales are considered malty profiles and the 1084 is described as a "Full bodied, dry clean flavor", I've used the 1084 in many stouts, Irish reds and some porters even. I would go with the 1084 if you have it on hand and healthy.

Richard

Jake's recipe was real close to Pic's
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

brew

NBCBA Treasurer

Jake

no Brew that was my Christmas ale ... it was decent, but I recall I made a real tasty winter warmer ... I'll take a look to see and post if I can find
President of the NBCBA

Jake

President of the NBCBA

brew

Very cool Jake. Do you prefer a non-spiced WW or a spiced version? Also, I see you used both Crystal 150 and 240 - I know Richard asked before, but we do have an EBC 150 and 240 from our supplier which translates to crystal 60L and 100L - just wanted to make sure - where'd you pick up your crystal? Someplace online?
NBCBA Treasurer

Jake

Yea my bad ... it's the medium and the dark, so I believe that would be the C60 and C110; i get all of mine in our orders.

I prefer the non-spiced from the little experience I've had. I think I may have over-spiced my Christmas Ale (to my taste). I'll likely do another spiced WW again, but only for the Holidays. The recipe I proposed was pretty smooth and I made a couple batches that lasted pretty well all Winter. Great stuff!

I think I'm going to try running it here very soon again, but plan to add a pound or two of Munich (more perceived maltiness) and use the Irish Ale Yeast for a higher FG hoping for more body. I found the only thing that I never enjoyed so much was it was too thin, and I would have liked it alot more if it finished around 1.018. I find this is hard to do when using SO5 because it's such a beast that'll chew through anything and everything.
President of the NBCBA

Jake

This thread really got me in the mood for some winter warmer ... guess what I'm brewing tonight? ...

so much for dinner and a movie with the girlfriend. I blame all of you
President of the NBCBA

Richard

Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

brew

Cool Jake - thanks for the info - might go the crystal route for mine also... Be interesting to see how 1084 does with it - I'm putting a note in my calendar to be in your neighborhood with my beer glass in 3 or 4 weeks...  :mrgreen:
NBCBA Treasurer

pliny

That darker crystal can be nice in reasonable quantity of course - it gives a bit of a raisin kind of taste.

Brian_S

I second Jake's WW recipe...awesome stuff.  I made 4 batches last winter ( one of them only lasted 4 hours....damn student parties.)

B
<No context>Dark and Dirty</No Context>