• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Finally jumping on board the metric revolution!

Started by Chris Craig, September 03, 2012, 04:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Craig

It's taken me quite a while, but I'm giving it a solid go.  No more imperial measurements for me.  I brewed today, and caught myself converting measurements in my head.  I just have to re-learn quantities, I guess.  Anyway, it makes measuring grain easier :)

This was inspired by sdixon, btw.  Always with the metric.

Richard

I'd been meaning to do this for a while, but as yet have not quite managed to break the habit.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Chris Craig

It's quite difficult to do.  You spend your life thinking in pounds and inches.  It's a difficult job to change.

jeffsmith

I'm considering doing the same. I figure that in the long run kg and g are much easier to deal with than lbs and oz. Just a matter of reconditioning my mind after 3 years of brewing with imperial.

sdixon

Although I have made the jump to metric for weights and volumes, I still find myself going back and forth between F and C for temp. Oddly enough I am solidly F for mashing, but now beginning to think in terms of C for fermenting!?
"Good people drink good beer"
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]

Richard

The ridiculous thing is that I had to learn imperial to brew :P

sdixon - oddly enough, I do the same thing re: fermentation and mashing. I think it's because the mashing is more temperature sensitive, and the integer units of Fahrenheit give a higher resolution without decimal points...
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

brew

I found it easier to mash in L since my measuring bucket is marked off in L - but I've had the same issue going from F to C - lower resolution...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

fakr

same here, all over the place with imperial and metric.  Volumes for me are in metric, Ferm temp in C, mash temp in F, and weights in pounds / ounces.

Whatever works I guess.  Not really thinking of changing any time soon unless there was a real need for it.

I remember the first time I saw a grain bill in metric...my first thought was that buddy didn't have enough grain for a 5GAL batch..hehe!
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."