• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Used Equipment

Started by DandyMason, February 23, 2012, 08:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyMason

Hey, a buddy dropped off a keg and an old 20 lb CO2 tank for me tonight... Both are actually full. Apparently the beer in the keg is wayyy beyond drinkable. The tank is also full, but Im pretty sure its due for an inspection, no tags on it or anything. Should I get it inspected before using the CO2 in it?

Any suggestions for the keg? Is it worth making a keggle out of it? I have a 48 L SS pot right now..

JohnQ

Disclaimer...I have no training or knowledge whatsoever regarding pressurized CO2 devices which could be a potential bomb...

I'd use the CO2, and KEEP the keg as is, until you decide whether to serve or spund in it, before irreversibly damaging it by cutting the top open.

FWIW

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

DandyMason

Thanks John,

Yeah my plan was to give the CO2 a try, thanks for the input.

Anyone else using keggles?

brew

Keggles are cool for sure, but be sure you want to do it first before cutting the top off - that there is also a great fermenter just the way it is!
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Chris Craig

Quote from: "DandyMason"Thanks John,

Yeah my plan was to give the CO2 a try, thanks for the input.

Anyone else using keggles?

Dean just cut the top out of one of these bad boys for me.  I haven't had the chance to use it yet though.  I'm waiting on a SS valve first.

fakr

I'd use the tank until it's empty, then get it certified and reuse it.

As for the keg...personally, I wouldn't cut it...I'd use it as a keg.  It's worth way more intact.  Try finding an intact sankey keg on the internet...I can't even find them...You'd be better off selling it on ebay and buying 2 cut kegs for the same price.  just my two cents...
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

DandyMason

Thanks for the input guys.

Good point though Fakr. I could buy one of those cornelius to sanke kits...

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/product_ ... %20kit.htm

... and use it as a keg. I definitely will sit on it for a while and decide.

Chris Craig

I wouldn't bother using it as a keg unless you have a fridge instead of a freezer.  How heavy do you think that'll be when it has 50+L of beer in it :)  And, you'll end up with the same result as a corny keg.  Magic machine that dispenses beer.

Sit on it a while, and make sure before you cut it.

DandyMason

Yeah the thing is filled right now... That was a struggle getting it down the stairs! Which is another issue, I gotta empty the damn thing.

And I have a freezer, which definitely would suck lifting it into ... But atleast I wouldnt have to do it very often since it would last forever.

Kyle

I'd leave the keg intact and use the C02 to get the beer out.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

fakr

I'd hookup a sankey coupler to the keg and empty it, or at least remove the pressure from it, then take off the lock ring, remove the fitting, and turn it upside down to empty it.  not hard to do with a narrow flat blade screw driver.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."