Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hops 2014 - My First Foray Into Growing Hops  (Read 4094 times)

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hops 2014 - My First Foray Into Growing Hops
« on: April 13, 2014, 01:32:05 AM »
Still a ton of snow on the ground, but hops are planted in the pots. Hoping to get them out side in the next 3-4 weeks.

2 Mt. Hood, 2 Chinook, 1 Golding and 1 Fuggles. 2 will be transplanted into larger pots to be used on a trellis that goes over a walking path on our property. The other 4 will get planted in the back, just have to put in a pole to run lines to.

Should be fun!!

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
Re: Hops 2014 - My First Foray Into Growing Hops
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 05:06:12 PM »
Well, here is what they look like 4 weeks after planting.

These are in a back window, and only get bright sun late in the day, simply because I didn't want to transplant some 6-8' monster when it came time.

Nights are still cold here, in the low single digits, so might be a tad early to transplant outside.

One of the Mt. Hoods are well past 3ft now with the other close behind, the Golding going well also, as are the 2 Chinook. The Fuggles, while growing, doesn't seem to be growing as fast.

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:32:12 PM »
Just an update on these.

Happy with mine considering they are first year plants.

From right to left, Chinook X2, Fuggles, and Golding. I also have 2 Mt. Hood, but I think between my transplanting them and the hurricane that we had roll through here soon after, they never really took off, the other 4 above were transplanted after the Hurricane, not sure if it had much to do with the others not growing well, but probably didn't help them.

4 lone cones on one of the Chinook plants.

I didn't expect to get any, considering they got planted late, and were first year plants, so to see a few cones the first year is pretty cool.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:10:02 PM »
You'll probably get your best harvest at 3 years plus.

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 417
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 10:15:02 AM »
Are you planning on planting them in the ground? I would be worried that they would freeze and die in the buckets, unless you surrounded them with hay or whatnot.
Lee

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 02:01:20 PM »
I will probably put them in the ground in the spring. Will just bring the buckets inside the garage for the winter, usually about 10 degrees warmer in there than the outside temp. in the winter. So should be fine.

They would freeze in the ground anyway, so don't see if there would be any difference. My understanding is they are basically a perennial plant, which requires the cold cycle to renew the plant anyway. 

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 02:30:03 PM »
They would freeze in the ground anyway, so don't see if there would be any difference. My understanding is they are basically a perennial plant, which requires the cold cycle to renew the plant anyway.
no it's not the same and I can speak from experience trust me!  I lost 2 2-years old hops that way and they were in a huge barrel.  And if it were me I would plant them in the ground this autumn, it would help them establish faster and you would have a bigger crop next year

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 07:42:26 PM »
They should really be in the ground otherwise they will freeze solid and kill the rhizomes.