Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hop shot substitute  (Read 7276 times)

Offline Cuba

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Hop shot substitute
« on: March 07, 2017, 09:18:39 AM »
Hello everyone,

Being the start of beer week I decided to end my brewing hiatus (I have a week off school too :) ). Going to brew an IPA and use up some hops that have been open for a year.

Anyways the recipe calls for 8 mL of Hop shot which I can't/don't want to purchase. Hop shot is suppose to adds 10 IBUs/mL so the total for the recipe is 80 IBUs.

So I'm going to replace the hop shot with 80 IBUs of columbus hops and I want someone to check my math before I ruin a batch of beer:

AAU = AA% * weight in oz
IBU = AAU * alpha utilization * 75

80 IBU = AAU * 0.21 * 75
AAU = 80 IBU / (0.21 * 75)
AAU = 5.079

5.079 = 10.9 * weight
Weight = 5.079 / 10.9
Weight = 0.465 oz = 13.2 g

Other info:
The recipe calls for hop shot to be added at 60 min.
OG = 1.060

I'm asking mostly because I've never tried to calculate IBUs before, I'm quite good at math. But it does seem  be that 13.2 g of hops is not much for  80 IBU.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
Re: Hop shot substitute
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:39:29 PM »
Hello everyone,

Being the start of beer week I decided to end my brewing hiatus (I have a week off school too :) ). Going to brew an IPA and use up some hops that have been open for a year.

Anyways the recipe calls for 8 mL of Hop shot which I can't/don't want to purchase. Hop shot is suppose to adds 10 IBUs/mL so the total for the recipe is 80 IBUs.

So I'm going to replace the hop shot with 80 IBUs of columbus hops and I want someone to check my math before I ruin a batch of beer:

AAU = AA% * weight in oz
IBU = AAU * alpha utilization * 75

80 IBU = AAU * 0.21 * 75
AAU = 80 IBU / (0.21 * 75)
AAU = 5.079

5.079 = 10.9 * weight
Weight = 5.079 / 10.9
Weight = 0.465 oz = 13.2 g

Other info:
The recipe calls for hop shot to be added at 60 min.
OG = 1.060

I'm asking mostly because I've never tried to calculate IBUs before, I'm quite good at math. But it does seem  be that 13.2 g of hops is not much for  80 IBU.
Just to clarify, the recipe is 80ibus total and all of it is from the 60min hop shot addition?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Cuba

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »
I think so... the recipe calls for 8 mL of hop shot at the beginning of a 60 min boil. The rest of the hops are added at flame out and dry hop.

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 01:16:16 PM »

What was the Columbus starting AA?
Also, how old are the hops and how were they stored (container type/temperature)?

I would just aim for 80IBU using a hop age calculator (in BeerSmith or like this one: http://brewerslog.appspot.com/HopAlphaCalc) and not worry about trying converting hop shots.  :cheers:

It's a calculated guess but with these details we can determine approximately how much you would need to add at 60 minutes to achieve the desired 80 IBU. 

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 01:22:39 PM by blisster »
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 07:20:53 PM »

What was the Columbus starting AA?
Also, how old are the hops and how were they stored (container type/temperature)?

I would just aim for 80IBU using a hop age calculator (in BeerSmith or like this one: http://brewerslog.appspot.com/HopAlphaCalc) and not worry about trying converting hop shots.  :cheers:

It's a calculated guess but with these details we can determine approximately how much you would need to add at 60 minutes to achieve the desired 80 IBU.
Exactly what I was going to write. Beersmith is very helpful for this.

Offline Cuba

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 09:53:49 AM »
Columbus hops were 10.9% originally, bought last year so I believe they were 2015 harvest from Southan farms.

Stored in a fridge in the original vacuum seal pack but closed with one of those chip clip things.

I always forget about beersmith, I deleted it off my phone when I had to get rid of some apps. I'll download it again, much easier than trying to do the calculations by hand.

Offline Cuba

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »
Has anyone gotten their hands on hop shot yet? Sounds interesting, it seems like they use a similar (maybe identical) process to that of cannabinoid extraction of medical marijuana with CO2.

This interests me because I am hoping to get a job in  medical marijuana industry after I'm out of school. There is another extraction process that is somewhat new that uses only hydraulic pressure and heat.

I plan on building one  these heat presses; I wonder if I could also use it to  make my own "hop shot"?

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 10:11:13 AM »
Has anyone gotten their hands on hop shot yet? Sounds interesting, it seems like they use a similar (maybe identical) process to that of cannabinoid extraction of medical marijuana with CO2.

This interests me because I am hoping to get a job in  medical marijuana industry after I'm out of school. There is another extraction process that is somewhat new that uses only hydraulic pressure and heat.

I plan on building one  these heat presses; I wonder if I could also use it to  make my own "hop shot"?
That sounds like an interesting experiment! Keep us posted...

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 02:48:33 PM »
Columbus hops were 10.9% originally, bought last year so I believe they were 2015 harvest from Southan farms.

Stored in a fridge in the original vacuum seal pack but closed with one of those chip clip things.

I always forget about beersmith, I deleted it off my phone when I had to get rid of some apps. I'll download it again, much easier than trying to do the calculations by hand.
I would recommend keeping your hops in the freezer at the very least. A vacuum sealer would be ideal.

Offline Cuba

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 02:50:47 PM »

I would recommend keeping your hops in the freezer at the very least. A vacuum sealer would be ideal.

Good to know. I have some freezer space... But I did get a vacuum sealer for Christmas, I'll be re sealing my hop bags from here on out.