Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bittering hop to go with Mosaic and Equinox  (Read 6134 times)

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bittering hop to go with Mosaic and Equinox
« on: May 27, 2016, 01:32:13 AM »
Can anyone give me some ideas as to what I should use as a bittering hop that would be a good companion to Mosaic and Equinox.

I have 4oz each of Mosaic and Equinox, 1oz each @10min, 1oz each in whirlpool for 30mins, and then 2 oz each for the dry hop

APA/IPA about 50IBUS (which put it more into the IPA territory I guess).

I have about a 1/2oz each of Golding and Fuggles that were off of plants from last year, would add an earthy character to it I suppose, not sure if that would really go with the fruity characters of the other 2 however.

Have some Merkur (similar to Magnum), Centennial, and Zythos.

Considering adding in Centennial for bittering, and maybe equal amounts of Zythos with the other 2 finishing hops.

Or maybe just Zythos for bittering and a bit more for the finish, as it has similar fruity characteristics as Mosaic and Equinox. Would be like a fruit salad in a glass!  :banana: :banana:

Thoughts?

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
Re: Bittering hop to go with Mosaic and Equinox
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:38:14 AM »
I would go with Merkur, since it's close to Magnum. I tend to use Magnum or Polaris for bittering as they are quite clean.

For what it's worth, be mindful mixing too many hops, flavors can get muddled or even clash entirely. Mosaic and equinox are so good on their own I'd be tempted to go with just those two.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:49:11 AM by robcoombs »

Offline Alain2

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • 2 stroke motorcycles and mountain bikes
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 08:19:33 AM »
I recently made a hoppy American Wheat with Mosaic and Equinox. From the reading I did before brewing, I learned that a clean bittering hop would be best, unless you want to alter the taste of these two great hops.

In my case (~31 IBU) a put :

1oz Mosaic @ 10min, (14 IBU)
1oz Equinox @ 10 min, (17 IBU)

1oz Mosaic Whirlpool,
1oz Equinox Whirlpool.

Fruit juice! :chug:

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 09:06:14 AM »
I recently made a hoppy American Wheat with Mosaic and Equinox. From the reading I did before brewing, I learned that a clean bittering hop would be best, unless you want to alter the taste of these two great hops.

In my case (~31 IBU) a put :

1oz Mosaic @ 10min, (14 IBU)
1oz Equinox @ 10 min, (17 IBU)

1oz Mosaic Whirlpool,
1oz Equinox Whirlpool.

Fruit juice! :chug:
Solid recipe!

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 01:18:18 AM »
What is with Beersmith and the IBUs they attach to Whirlpool hops? IBUs weren't bad before the whirlpool hops (about 67), but then add in the whirlpool hops and it jumps it up another 46points to 111IBU.

Likely go with the Merkur, Mosaic and Equinox. Plan was to try and replicate a beer I had in the US. Was a Belgian IPA with Mosaic and Equinox, but at the moment I don't have any Belgian yeast, and want to use up some of the hops and yeast I do have here. So just swap out the Belgian part, or the American part.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 08:00:59 AM »
Beersmith assumes a much higher hop utilization than you get. I find a good rule of thumb is to take the whirlpool addition and half the IBUs it calculates.