Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone have hops up yet?  (Read 12623 times)

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anyone have hops up yet?
« on: May 24, 2017, 05:20:11 PM »
Mine have poked through this last week or so.

2 Centennial are looking good so far.

Finally planted what I had in the ground last fall, 2 Centennial, which will be 2nd yr plants this year, so might get enough off of them for an oz or 2 in the fall.

Golding that just grew so so last year, but was still in a pot at the time, however hasn't come up yet, so might be a goner. The one surprise was the one Fuggles I had, from about 3yrs ago...been in a pot all this time, didn't grow last year at all, so when I dumped out the others, I dumped it as well to recoup the dirt, and low and behold there were a couple of viable chutes on the root side that had grown last year, so took a chance and planted it, not expecting anything but hoping for the best, and it has popped this last week.

Chutes are only 3-4" at this point, but looking promising.

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778
Re: Anyone have hops up yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 05:26:48 PM »
Surprisingly 3 out of 6 I got this year are showing promise thanks @Roger for them

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 09:18:58 PM »
My Hersbrucker are almost 3 feet tall and my cascades are about 2 feet tall. They're planted beside the house so they get a good head start. I've got some centennial, golding, nugget and Willamette in another spot but they're only a few inches tall now 10inches at most...
Edit: I just checked my hops and the Hersbrucker is 5 feet tall and the cascades are 3 feet tall... Crazy!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:02:20 PM by Roger »

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 08:47:49 AM »
My cascades had about 6 shoots and are about 3 feet tall, my Centennial had 5 shoots and are about 16 inches right now.

My Hersbrucker transplants from Roger have yet to peek through.

Should I let all the shoots grow? Or concentrate them?
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:51:29 AM »
My Cascade have yet to show themselves and I fear they may be dead  :frazzled:

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 04:09:19 PM »
My cascades had about 6 shoots and are about 3 feet tall, my Centennial had 5 shoots and are about 16 inches right now.

My Hersbrucker transplants from Roger have yet to peek through.

Should I let all the shoots grow? Or concentrate them?
What I do is trim all the smaller ones and train around 3-4 of the bigger ones around the rope. I also trim any new shoots that come up to let the ones I've trained get all the nutrients. Then once they're about 12feet I trim off all the leaves up to about 5-6 feet. This helps with some pests that will crawl up the bine from what I've read they loose interest in the plant if they can't find any food on the way up. Good luck!

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 04:16:16 PM »
Very helpful, thanks!
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 08:42:51 PM »
My cascade have exploded this year. The willamette is doing really well but its totally possible it just got overtaken by the cascade since I planted them so close together.

Offline RobMac

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 09:49:51 PM »
I planted 13 hop plants last spring. My Golding in my back yard is about 2 ft tall and training. The other 12 hop plants at my camp  survived the winter as well and one has actually has a runner coming up between the planted rhizome and it's neighbor. I did not get anything last year but I'm hoping for a small crop this year. Time to build an oust. :cheers:

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 08:34:22 PM »
Hops already to the top of my string! Need to figure something out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 09:16:22 PM »
Mine are almost 4 feet. I don't expect much as it is the first year

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 10:03:56 AM »
Some of mine are to the roof and half way back down to the ground already...
I don't do much with mine I just let them go. I've tried running lines horizontally. It works great but its a pain to wrap them around the lines everyday. I've seen it done quite successfully @jamie_savoie has had some pretty awesome crops doing it that way.
Mine seem to grow to the roof fall back down then grow back up again. It's probably not the best for yield but I get enough to use so I don't really care.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 02:10:47 PM »
Some of mine are to the roof and half way back down to the ground already...
I don't do much with mine I just let them go. I've tried running lines horizontally. It works great but its a pain to wrap them around the lines everyday. I've seen it done quite successfully @jamie_savoie has had some pretty awesome crops doing it that way.
Mine seem to grow to the roof fall back down then grow back up again. It's probably not the best for yield but I get enough to use so I don't really care.

That's helpful... I was thinking about making another runner down to the ground level, but was reading that I'd have to train it downwards, daily. That really seems like a pain, so I may just use your method!
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 12:14:09 PM »
My 2 centennial are probably at about 5-6ft so far, Golding about 5ft, and the Fuggles, which I didn't expect to survive are at about 3-4ft.

Mine go up a line to a 4X4 post at about a 45 degree angle, 15-17 ft of line, generally go to the top, grow slightly more and then start to fill out.

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 417
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 11:38:02 PM »
Mine are about 6 or 8 feet. I've been negligent about fertilizer and weeding but they aren't doing too bad. The centennial are doing much better this year so far.
Lee