Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Using Oats in Extract  (Read 7481 times)

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Using Oats in Extract
« on: May 01, 2017, 12:58:04 AM »
Looking for some advice on using quick oats. I have read that it needs to steep with some 2 row or 6 row in order to convert the starches.

Does it matter which? I assume that the 6 row has more of what is needed to convert the oat starches?

One recipe I looked at that used oats in extract, used 18oz of oats and 1.5lbs of 6 row, steeped for an hr (with the rest of the steeping grains), remove, splarge and add your extract.

Just wondering if there is a rule of thumb as to how much 2 or 6 row to use to do that with.

I had contemplated using Malted Oats instead, but some of the reading I have done, says that the Malted Oats don't give the same result.

I would assume as well that using 2 or 6 row, you would then just adjust your dry malt to hit your OG?

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
Re: Using Oats in Extract
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 03:31:18 PM »
You are right, 6-row is likely what you want to use.. It has a higher diastatic (enzymatic) power and less starch/sugar than 2-row so you wouldn't need as much.  This is why most macro breweries use 6-row to go with all the corn adjuncts.

6-row has some down sides like extra proteins which can cause haze but if you are planning on using quick/rolled oats, that won't matter.

General rule of thumb is 1lb of base malt for every pound of non-enzymatic grain/oats. 
Going by the recipe of 1.5/1 (and using 6-row) will just ensure you have plenty of enzymes for converting any starches.

You'll have to reduce the extract used to offset the sugar from the oats/malt.

This beersmith article explains is quite well: http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/01/04/diastatic-power-and-mashing-your-beer/

"Diastatic power plays an even more important role for partial mash brewers. Many beginning partial mash brewers tend to take several pounds of specialty malts and try to mash them without a pale base malt. This can cause very poor conversion, as the fermentable portion of the specialty malts lack the enzymes to convert. It is important that you mash with sufficient base malt to provide the enzymes needed in the mashing process."

Since it's flakes oats I would think you could just steep it (no base malts/mash)... you won't get anything out of the oats other than taste and mouthfeel.. Not sure how much that would change the end taste though?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 03:44:56 PM »
From what I read, Flaked Oats and Quick Oats are one in the same, IE don't pay the extra for the brew store version, just go to Costco and buy the truck load box for little money.

Since it's flakes oats I would think you could just steep it (no base malts/mash)... you won't get anything out of the oats other than taste and mouthfeel

OK, confused a little bit, I thought you needed a base malt to convert the starches from the flaked oats? Or is it just that you still get the taste and mouthfeel without, just not the starches?

This is going into an IPA for the mouthfeel and hazyness (so the haze from the 6 row will just add to that).

And actually when I converted the amount of pale malt in the recipe to dry extract, it was well below the stated OG.

VOLUME: 23 L
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.012
EBC: 8
IBU: 35
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
2-Row: 3.0 kg
Vienna: 1.0 kg
Flaked Oats: 0.8 kg
Wheat: 0.8 kg
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mash: 66 c
Sparge: 78 c
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Columbus: 15g (60 min)
Nelson Sauvin: 30g (1 min)
Amarillo: 30g (1 min)
Citra: 30g (1 min)
Nelson Sauvin: 30g (Whirlpool, 20 min)
Amarillo: 30g (Whirlpool, 20 min)
Citra: 30g (Whirlpool, 20 min)
------------------
1st DRY HOP
------------------
Nelson Sauvin: 25g
Amarillo: 25g
Citra: 25g
------------------
2nd DRY HOP
------------------
Nelson Sauvin: 25g
Amarillo: 25g
Citra: 25g
------------------
CITRUS
------------------
2 x Oranges (chopped + frozen)
3 x Limes (chopped + frozen)
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Yeast: Yeast Bay (Vermont Ale)

The 3kg of Pale, worked out to about 4lbs of DME according to: https://www.jaysbrewing.com/2011/11/17/lazy-chart-for-converting-dme-lme-grain/

Which, with everything else, only brought it to about 1.042, had to up the DME to 5.5lbs to get it to 1.054 according to Beersmith

Concerned with the limes in the secondary as well, thinking that with all the rind (or maybe peel before freezing) would make it too bitter, but with 3 limes, maybe make it pretty tart overall.

Just a recipe I found online from "Daily Beer Recipes" on FB.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 07:51:04 PM »
If I were you I wouldn't expect much conversion of the oats. I'd say it's mostly for body in a recipe like that and I wouldn't add the citrus fruit. Your gonna get mostly sour and tart flavours from them. I would either use only the rind in the secondary or make a tincture and add it to your keg or bottling bucket. Unless of course your going for those flavours in the finished product.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »
If I were you I wouldn't expect much conversion of the oats. I'd say it's mostly for body in a recipe like that and I wouldn't add the citrus fruit. Your gonna get mostly sour and tart flavours from them. I would either use only the rind in the secondary or make a tincture and add it to your keg or bottling bucket. Unless of course your going for those flavours in the finished product.
Agree with Roger, using the zest will add more than enough aroma and flavour. Leaving the citrus in there can make things overly tart and harshly bitter over time.

Try putting water in the fridge and add cut limes or lemons. The first day it will taste great but within a couple of days it will start tasting as mentioned above. I don't think I'd want those flavours, even in a sour.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 01:45:48 PM »
Yeah, I am thinking either cut it down to one lime, one orange, or just use the rind, sans pith.

If I go with just the rind, I might add some to the end of the boil as well.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 03:49:17 PM »
I said rind but I meant zest. I assume that's what you're talking about as well.

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »
Yeah, rind, zest. I guess if you peel the fruit, and cut away the pith from the inside, you are left with the zest.

Should I freeze the rind before use? Just to get rid of any nasties that might be in the zest? For secondary that is, wouldn't matter in the boil.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »
Yeah, rind, zest. I guess if you peel the fruit, and cut away the pith from the inside, you are left with the zest.

Should I freeze the rind before use? Just to get rid of any nasties that might be in the zest? For secondary that is, wouldn't matter in the boil.
I dunk the fruit in a bowl of starsan and sanitize a zester. I don't peel and cut away the pith, seems like more work and I'm all about being lazy.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk